Is my chicken sick?

trirealtoramy

Chirping
Mar 21, 2016
Virginia
Ive noticed some black scabs on one of my hens. I have 5 ladies. This hen tends to go off on her own when free ranging which is different in last few weeks. What do i do? Im so new at this. She is a year old and I just love her.

I am new as well but just off the top of my head....could she have been attacked by a predator? Or pecked on by the other chickens? I am having a hard time trying to figure out just where the scabs are located by the photo. Or mites? But I think they will lose feathers when they are infested with mites....hopefully somebody chicken savvy will come along to give you a definite answer. Good Luck!

I am new as well but just off the top of my head....could she have been attacked by a predator?  Or pecked on by the other chickens?  I am having a hard time trying to figure out just where the scabs are located by the photo.  Or mites? But I think they will lose feathers when they are infested with mites....hopefully somebody chicken savvy will come along to give you a definite answer.  Good Luck! 

Sorry i forgot to mention the scabs are on her breast bone. She is usually in a preadtor safe coop. Ladies dont appear to attack her. I have only noticed a few feathers in coop and i clean it daily. Thank you for your reply. It helps knowing people try to help. This site is awesome

The picture is hard to see but could it maybe be tree sap? I have a chicken that gets it on her and I thought they were scabs too. Is she acting normal? Eating / drinking?

The picture is hard to see but could it maybe be tree sap? I have a chicken that gets it on her and I thought they were scabs too. Is she acting normal? Eating / drinking?

Thats interesting about tree sap. My dog gets similar scabs on her belly and now we are thinking it is plant related. We back up to woods and have a lot of foliage out there. I have now found a second hen who has the same thing on her chest. They both eat normal. Im not sure if they are laying eggs. We get 3 or 4 eggs a day. Never had 5 eggs from our 5 ladies. Can plants irritate hens?

Back
Top Bottom