Is My chicken sick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MiaRusso, Apr 1, 2017.

1. MiaRusso

MiaRusso New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    For a few weeks I have been noticing one of my biggest chickens has been just lying in the same spot in her coop, she won't move at all and she is not laying any eggs. When I pick her up and place her outside of the coop on the ground but she didn't move at all when I put her on the ground she didn't even move her legs so she just payed on the ground again. He legs can move when I hold her they grab on my arm but when I place her somewhere she never stands up or moves, I looked at her stomach and she has no feathers on her stomach anymore but her skin dosnt seem to be irritated in any way. She still eats and drinks when I put food and water in front of her. What are you thoughts is she hurt or sick??

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

How old is your girl? She sounds broody!

3. MiaRusso

MiaRusso New Egg

Apr 1, 2017

She is a little over a year old
    And yes she has been acting very broody lately also

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  4. EggSighted4Life

Does she go back to her original sitting spot right away when she finally get up? What breed?

5. EggSighted4Life

Broody hens will not leave their nest spot except one or two short times per day to eat and drink. And they will head right back to set.

They will even set on air!

6. EggSighted4Life

My girl that is broody right now (one of them), has all her chest feathers missing. My others do not. Just depends on the hen.

I have enough experience to know broodyness though, in my own flock... not all will be the same. So I know my issue isn't parasites or illness.

Does she refuse to go to roost and go back to the same spot rapidly? If not, I would have other suspicions.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Does she growl at you when you go to pick her up, bite at you if you reach under her, raise her feathers at you or cluck cluck cluck when she is away from her area? Any or all of these is broodiness.

Can she stand at all? I mean if you pick her up and stand her up, does she stay there?

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Hope your hen is okay and only broody. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under MiaRusso [​IMG] Welcome!

I am leaning towards broody also and I too hope that that is all that it is and that she is not unwell.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Best wishes and best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by