Is My chicken sick

[COLOR=333333]Hello there and welcome to BYC! [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]:frow [/COLOR]

Does she growl at you when you go to pick her up, bite at you if you reach under her, raise her feathers at you or cluck cluck cluck when she is away from her area? Any or all of these is broodiness.

Can she stand at all? I mean if you pick her up and stand her up, does she stay there?
she dose raise her feathers at me when I come in the coop and give me a little grown but dosnt peck me, she has always been my nicest chicken,She can move her legs I thing she is just choosing to lay down but no she didn't stand up even when I pick her up and put her in a different place

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity to see if she is broody. Put an egg in her nest or wherever she sits and see what she does with it. If she tucks it under her, I would think that is the answer.

If so you could put fertile eggs under her and let her hatch them. Is she eating and drinking and pooping normally? Broody hens don't want to take a break to do so unless you put them outside and they have too. Or put food & water near them. Please let us know what happens.

Quote: Sounds like she is broody. Just let her "do her thing" and eventually her hormones will calm down and the broodiness will pass. She's just doing what nature is telling her to do, become a momma!
smile.png

she dose raise her feathers at me when I come in the coop and give me a little grown but dosnt peck me, she has always been my nicest chicken,She can move her legs I thing she is just choosing to lay down but no she didn't stand up even when I pick her up and put her in a different place
Totally broody!
D.gif
Even though she doesn't peck you, all birds will behave in the same manner but with slight variations. And a broody staying where she is sat down is quite the norm. One kid even said he loves broody's because he can put them anywhere and they stay.
tongue.png

I wouldn't just let nature take it's course. Last time I did, my broody stayed in the box for more than 25 days until I employed the broody breaker (a wire bottom kennel). Loosing body condition because they don't move and use their muscles during that time.

You could tuck brand new feed store chicks under her during the night and let her raise them, give her eggs
jumpy.gif
, or employ a broody breaker. If you give her chicks or eggs, you will not see eggs from her any sooner than 8- 12 weeks minimum.

Good luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom