Is my duck pipping?

More progress and peeping! Would this be considered an external pip now? Don’t want to be paranoid and think it hasn’t externally pipped and will suffocate if I don’t intervene.

Attachments

• D7475BF8-37E0-49EC-AC29-6CD48789BADB.jpeg
    D7475BF8-37E0-49EC-AC29-6CD48789BADB.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 33DA2FAC-B136-4E79-B268-A04864157073.jpeg
    33DA2FAC-B136-4E79-B268-A04864157073.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 13
I know you’re very concerned about the well-being of your duckling and I’m not sure if there’s much I can do to ease your mind, but always remember that in nature, they don’t get any help and must do everything on their own. If I had only one piece of advice to give it would be DO NOT STEP IN AND TRY TO ASSIST. You are far more likely to hurt and even kill the baby by doing so than just letting it do it’s own thing and hatch by itself.

Two pips take place in the hatching process: the internal pip and the external. Internal is when it breaks through the shell MEMBRANE into the air cell at the end of the egg without cracking the shell, and an EXTERNAL pip is when it cracks the shell for the first time as a result of it practically suffocating from nearly running out of air in the air cell, which causes its neck to spasm and thus crack the shell, allowing it to get oxygen from outside. The first picture you posted was after it had already externally pipped, and it has been getting oxygen ever since. Do not intervene.

Once it starts zipping, however, it is most likely fine to help it out of the shell IF IT NEEDS IT. If it’s able to zip and break out on its own, then leave it alone completely, but if it’s malpositioned then you may need to step in and break it out—ONLY AFTER IT HAS STARTED ZIPPING, AND ABSOLUTELY NOT BEFORE. I promise that you’ll regret it if you assist too early.

Patience is the key here, and letting nature take its course is the best thing you can do. I know it’s nerve racking and you just want to do the work for it, but trust me, it doesn’t work and often ends in tragedy. I do want you to know, however, that I do appreciate your love for this duckling and your desire to do what’s best for it, and also that you’re not afraid to ask any question, because we all need help sometimes and no one knows everything. Keep us updated and let us know how the hatch goes! :D:p

A para came in with a carton of eggs and asked if I could incubate them!!! So another teacher let me borrow an incubator and he was the only one that came from the batch! I went to tractor supply and got him some friends today!! He was so happy!! Not alone anymore 💜

Attachments

• 84642272-4241-4467-A373-B3B12448D79F.jpeg
    84642272-4241-4467-A373-B3B12448D79F.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom