Is my female I'll or injured? Help please!

Fernan18

In the Brooder
May 8, 2019
Hey everyone,
My females are laying eggs every day and seem healthy. They have a good appetite, they drink plenty of fresh water. I noticed one layed 2 eggs in a basket I gave them and lays on them periodically (I think she gets off when we come in the room though)
I noticed she had a patch of feathers missing in the back of her back (lower closer to the tail) and very little on her head. Now I've read in this site that it's a normal breeding thing. BUT the patch on the back is spreading I think and now she has a protruding white (looks like a feather bone) coming out. This one though seems Enflamed and swollen like. I tried looking at it in more detail and when I touched it she panicked. The patch also seems to be very dry and no feathers look like they are growing back.

I'm just concerned if this is an illness? A common breeding act? Or Bullying?

I'm quite concerned and don't want to loose her :( please help if you can offer any advice
Thank you

She might be the favorite of your male so he is over mating her. If you don't do anything about it, she is unlikely to get her feathers back anytime soon. Things you can do includes removing the male, moving the birds to a larger enclosure, adding enrichment to the enclosure and places to hide and getting more females.
Could you get a picture of this inflamed and swollen looking pin feather? If it really is, it might be necessary to pluck it out, but pin feathers can look strange sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom