Is my flock normal?

My youngest chickens, just under three months old that I hatched myself, follow and chase me when I let them out and when they go up. It makes getting them in the coop pretty easy. Aside from one pullet who likes pecking interesting things, like toes, no one else pecks me.

I think it's a pack mentality thing. So many birds following each other, one Flys or pecks at you other's follow then it becomes a habit. At this point I think all you can do to stop this behavior, non-lethal at least, is to put them in separate groups. Small enough to be easier to deal with. Or you can just continue deal with tiny Velociraptors. :gig

Well, then, it's as I suspected.

I've never felt like they were starving. In fact, some are slightly overweight. Full crops every night, too. Not only have we switched them to a high-protein feed to accommodate their carnivorous habits, but leftovers and kitchen scraps are always thrown out to the "garbage disposals."

That said, I will try feeding them even more just to see if it helps in any way. :) I hate to think they might be hungry. :( An enclosure might be a great idea, too.

We raise unbelievably friendly birds. From day 1, fluffy babies around here receive constant snuggles and socialization. Yes, some have always flown on us, which could be the culprit. And, monkey see, monkey do, as the saying goes.

You have me dying over here. :lau

Unfortunately, I'm usually too occupied trying to escape when they mob me....here's what I found, though. ;)
View attachment 1612802
View attachment 1612804
View attachment 1612805
And, the aftermath of running away:
View attachment 1612801
~Alex
Those are real purdy chickens and ducks that you have! I like your cat too! Thanks for the view. I'm impressed with the grass. We have no grass from May to March here.
:frow

For the most part, this is not your stereotype flock... :lol: but I do have a few birds like this. And those few birds are spoiled! I go outside 3 or 4 times a day. In the afternoons I carry a handful of sunflower seeds out with me and let them all have a few. The spoiled ones scream and jump all over me.

I was scratched once and ever since I've never allowed them to do that again. I know it's sweet but it's also dangerous. I do allow them to sit in my lap and occasionally they'll roost on my shoulder. But no biting. Ever.
I know it's cute and all, but you'd better set the limit. Chickens are curious, and will go for the eyes, so be careful.

The scale of it all is really the only thing that floors me. That is a whole lot of birds to be mobbing the food lady. I don't think your flock is strange, I just think you aren't scary so they treat you like a chicken/goose/turkey lol.:lau
To put it lightly, I have a scary bunch of birds. They're friendly and assertive to the point of being over-the-top. Whether unleashing them in the morning, or simply walking outside at any point, there are birds flying from every direction directly at faces/onto heads/shoulders (flying on top of each other if there's no available square inch on which to sit), not to mention mobbing feet so that it's impossible to move. If I had $5 for every time I've ended up with scratches near my eyes, cheeks, and inside my bottom lip after a simple outdoor excursion, I'd be well-off. Sprinting doesn't work, either. ;) By that point, they've gained so much momentum from running/flying after an attempted escapee, stopping suddenly means instant death for the unlucky individual. Guests aren't an exception. I'm truly afraid my little crazies will injure everyone from UPS personnel, to the mail lady.

That's only the beginning! An open door to the mud room comes as an invitation to all 70-some chickens, ducks, and turkeys. Nothing's scarier than an aggressive oncoming flood of birds who act as a battering ram while you're trying to shut them out. Some literally push their way in. And the last thing I want is to be alone in an enclosed space with these feathered maniacs. It's nearly impossible to remove them, unless bribed with snacks.

Nearly everything is intimidated by vehicles, correct? Not these birds! After pulling into the driveway after a long day of errands, anticipating relaxation, such dreams are shattered by a flock en masse storming my car....immediately. Honking loudly to prevent them from getting flattened just doesn't work! The worst part? Praying they won't fly inside while you're vulnerable, which has happened in the past. Terrifying, to say the least.

As an avid flock photographer, I am required to practically lie down in order to capture the best angles. My beloved ladies, Marans particularly, seize the opportunity to do what they do best....bite through clothes. There are bruises and drawn blood everywhere on my body. I should win an award for the ability to hold still enough to take clear pictures, all the while being ripped apart behind the scenes. It's become an Olympic sport, in my opinion. Might I add that a certain little cockerel routinely perches on my back and munches my sensitive ears during photoshoots, as well?

Hens wing dance, tidbit, grow spurs, flog my legs when they feel it's dinner time, and crow. Roosters are wimps. A sudden death in the flock also means a sudden meal. In one instance, they didn't even wait for select victim to kick the bucket before digging in.

Is this normal? Please tell me I'm not alone here!

~Alex

chickenraptor.png

Back
Top Bottom