Is my hen ok?

Garciaaxen

Chirping
Nov 20, 2023
Just yesterday my hen was just fine but now today I woke up to her laying away from outside her pen away from the drake. Just laying by herself in the grass. Now she’s doing this, I’m new to this so idk what it means. She seems to be a bit off & slower moving as well. Our drake is staying by her side & following her as he can tell something is off. Can someone tell me what they think is going on?

Attachments

• IMG_2345.jpeg
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 49
Age? Diet? Is she laying? What are all her symptoms?
She’s about 2 months, diet is duck crumbs specifically the dumor brand sometimes she has a few green peas. She’s walking slow, laying down anywhere & is just hiding her head. I was just told by my husband that he bought them grit thinking that was what they usually eat & he didn’t run it by me. I’m starting to think that has something to do with it. It doesn’t look like they ate a lot because they usually go to town with what’s in their bowl but it’s still full. I’m so worried for her, she is drinking water still here & there.

She’s about 2 months, diet is duck crumbs specifically the dumor brand sometimes she has a few green peas. She’s walking slow, laying down anywhere & is just hiding her head. I was just told by my husband that he bought them grit thinking that was what they usually eat & he didn’t run it by me. I’m starting to think that has something to do with it. It doesn’t look like they ate a lot because they usually go to town with what’s in their bowl but it’s still full. I’m so worried for her, she is drinking water still here & there.
She is also not laying yet.

The grit won't do this unless she gorged on it which is unlikely.

grit is crushed granite. It’s tiny little pieces of rocks… you should have some in a bowl but that’s not their food. It’s something that they may take a little of now and then to help them digest their food and since they’re living outside, they are likely getting some grit from the dirt that they dig in anyway.
. I suggest start with giving her some vitamins like either rooster booster poultry cell, or Nutri drench. and can you take a picture of her poop, that can give a clue of what might be wrong.

is it possible she could have eaten some plant in the yard that may be toxic?
@Miss Lydia

I'd pick her up and feel her crop. If she ate too much grit it should be full and most likely you could feel if it's grit.

Last edited:
I am not sure, there was another member who had this happen I think she waited too late they took their duck to the vet did x-rays and found she had eaten a lot of grit to the point no food was passing through and she had starved.
Not saying this is what is going on with your duck check her crop gently I would think it is full of grit you would be able to feel it.
also @Jenbirdee asked if she could have eaten something outside that is toxic?

Last edited:
Im confused, was her food bowl filled with just grit ? and none of her regular food was available?
If that was the case then I can see how she might have tried to fill up on the grit

Back
Top Bottom