Is my Jane egg bound? If so, what can I do? Pic heavy

cafe

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 12, 2010
West Central Indiana
My hen, Chicken Jane, has a poopy butt and is swollen. She has probably been this way for around a week. I thought her belly felt warm when I picked her up but read that chickens have high body temps and figured it I was only noticing it because she has some feather loss and thought the feather loss/poopy butt was probably due to lice. I finally got the time to bathe her today. I'm pretty sure she does have lice, which is no big deal. I bought some poultry dust yesterday.

But once I could get a good look at her, I realized she was pretty red and swollen.
hit.gif
:

She is eating normally She is pooping normally, I think. She doesn't seem lethargic and she's moving around, though her gait is wider than the other Comet.

Here are the pics:

I trimmed the feathers on her rear. I think these are lice eggs.

100_3509.jpg

Here is her swollen belly:
100_3512.jpg

100_3510.jpg

Here is her swollen bum:
100_3517.jpg

100_3515.jpg

So I need to put her in a warm bath and massage her belly with downward strokes? What else should I do?

Last edited:
Okay. I soaked her in a warm bath for twenty minutes, massaged her belly for awhile, towel and blow dried her until she was just damp, put petroleum jelly on, around, and just barely inside her vent, then put her back outside in the tractor with Strawberry and Belle. I guess if it doesn't work, I put oil in her vent with a syringe?

She loved the warm soak and was such a good sport about everything. She is my tamest one and I really hope she'll be okay. I will keep her until she dies of old age even if she never lays another egg because she is so calm and pleasant.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom