Is My Mallard Duckling Sick?

He's pooping very little & it's white with a very light green tint. He's an only duck. (We rescued him when he was 2 days old.) He's drinking fine and his tongue is normal light pink. He eats All flock, which is what hes been eating since he was about 5-6 weeks old. (Never had an issue before & it's not a new bag yet. We buy 2lbs bags at a time so it won't go bad) it's winter here but he sleeps indoors at night, if he wants too. He's outside all day long. And he's always with one of us (my husband or myself) and we NEVER let anyone give him treats without us knowing first. I thought maybe his bill is sore because he loves to nibble on me and he tried to but there's no energy to it. It's hard to explain.

Or he could have ingested poison. Or picked up some metal. You could put a tablespoon of powdered activated charcoal supplement in a pint of water for him to drink. It helps absorb toxins. There is a Sticky on treating botulism that has a recipe for charcoal slurry, if you want to consider that.

Thank you so much for your help. I thought maybe he has a cold or something because our weather has been going kinda crazy. It's 50 one day and 30 the next. Also hes been sleeping a lot. But I'm going to find a vet that can help him/us. He's such a great duck and our whole including out police department love him. He's an honorary police officer here. He deserves everything great. I just want him to be ok.

I would give him poultry vitamins in his water and alternate that with charcoal. Like 12 hours apart. I cannot guess which would help him more, the vitamins or the charcoal.

Some folks put a little apple cider vinegar (with the mother, unpasteurized) in the drinking water as a tonic. I use about a teaspoon per quart.

Back
Top Bottom