Is my (not so) minipig pregnant or just a fatass

Thanks a lot for your answer x its been 2 months now so if she is it should be sometime soon,

Dude, no. You know what isn't found in nature?
Mini pigs.
I don't know what "research" you did, but I've been breeding mini pigs for 9 years and since humans - not nature - bred them small, humans are responsible for their safety. Mini pigs have potbellies because a lot of their internal organs didn't shrink with their bone structure (similar to dwarfism) and there's just not enough room in there. Adding pregnancy to that in a young pig who's still growing can cause permanent - and sometimes fatal - internal damage.

You know who doesn't care one tiny bit about that? Nature.
See, Nature's entire point of reproduction is to keep a stable population - to replace the parents. So, in order to keep 2 reproducing pigs, Nature pumps out a litter of 10 every 5 months .... because that's how many pigs Nature expects to die without successfully reproducing. Nature is perfectly content for your pregnant-way-to-young pig to suffer or die, because to Nature, heck, crows and maggots gotta eat too and there's other pigs.

That is NOT how ANYONE who keeps animals should think. But because there are too many people who want domestic animals to be "natural", instead of taking proper care of them or just not keeping them at all, decent, responsible people had to pass laws and create animal control officers to take care of domestic, unnatural animals after someone lets too many get hit in the road, go feral and reproduce unchecked.

My boy is about that big...
20210516_110250.jpg

Dude, no. You know what isn't found in nature?
Mini pigs.
I don't know what "research" you did, but I've been breeding mini pigs for 9 years and since humans - not nature - bred them small, humans are responsible for their safety. Mini pigs have potbellies because a lot of their internal organs didn't shrink with their bone structure (similar to dwarfism) and there's just not enough room in there. Adding pregnancy to that in a young pig who's still growing can cause permanent - and sometimes fatal - internal damage.

You know who doesn't care one tiny bit about that? Nature.
See, Nature's entire point of reproduction is to keep a stable population - to replace the parents. So, in order to keep 2 reproducing pigs, Nature pumps out a litter of 10 every 5 months .... because that's how many pigs Nature expects to die without successfully reproducing. Nature is perfectly content for your pregnant-way-to-young pig to suffer or die, because to Nature, heck, crows and maggots gotta eat too and there's other pigs.

That is NOT how ANYONE who keeps animals should think. But because there are too many people who want domestic animals to be "natural", instead of taking proper care of them or just not keeping them at all, decent, responsible people had to pass laws and create animal control officers to take care of domestic, unnatural animals after someone lets too many get hit in the road, go feral and reproduce unchecked.
What age is best for them to breed at?

What age is best for them to breed at?
A mini pig gilt should be at least 80# and 15 months to breed safely. You get them smaller than that by breeding females that size to the tiniest possible male. The resulting piglets will be every size in between. So any breeder who pre-sells week-old piglets or claims that they'll ALL be tiny is either lying or is totally (horrifically, unethically) ok with losing poor young gilts on a regular basis.

Tiny females are in high demand as pets - make sure they get spayed, not for all the scare-tactic nonsense on mini-pig websites, but because you don't want the poor thing to die horribly if someone looks at her with eyes like $_$ in the future.
Tiny males have a lower demand as pets - and such a small one as future breeders that it's not worth bothering with and so all males are best neutered at a few days old same as farm pigs. Intact males are nasty, and not good pets. My Jack Boar is a total sweetie, but he reeks and humps everything that holds still for 10 seconds.
Large females have a decent demand as barnyard pets and future breeders.
Large males I sell to folks who want to raise backyard pork or sometimes to a large family who celebrates occasions with a whole, roast pig - they really love them.

A mini pig gilt should be at least 80# and 15 months to breed safely. You get them smaller than that by breeding females that size to the tiniest possible male. The resulting piglets will be every size in between. So any breeder who pre-sells week-old piglets or claims that they'll ALL be tiny is either lying or is totally (horrifically, unethically) ok with losing poor young gilts on a regular basis.

Tiny females are in high demand as pets - make sure they get spayed, not for all the scare-tactic nonsense on mini-pig websites, but because you don't want the poor thing to die horribly if someone looks at her with eyes like $_$ in the future.
Tiny males have a lower demand as pets - and such a small one as future breeders that it's not worth bothering with and so all males are best neutered at a few days old same as farm pigs. Intact males are nasty, and not good pets. My Jack Boar is a total sweetie, but he reeks and humps everything that holds still for 10 seconds.
Large females have a decent demand as barnyard pets and future breeders.
Large males I sell to folks who want to raise backyard pork or sometimes to a large family who celebrates occasions with a whole, roast pig - they really love them.
That’s interesting. I don’t know anything about pigs but wanted to see what IS the right age to breed.

Back
Top Bottom