Is my quail male or female

TomGren

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2021
So i recently purchased 3 quail chicks along with some fertile eggs. The chicks are now 3.5 weeks old and i need help sexing one of them. I'm hoping it's a hen as my other two just started crowing.

IMG_20210125_135337921.jpg

Also is this colour called rosetta
IMG_20210125_135447738.jpg

And last question what will this little guy look like when he's all grown up. He looks similar to the wild type but he is more of a golden colour in-between the dark brown
IMG_20210125_140306862.jpg

Here he is on the left.
IMG_20210125_135646596.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_135337921.jpg
    IMG_20210125_135337921.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to BYC!

Unfortunately, that quail looks like it could be a male because of the lack of spots on it's chest. Wait a little longer to be sure though.

The second picture looks like a rosetta to me.

As for the chick, My guess would be similar to the wildtype colour but a slightly lighter variant. I'm not exactly sure which mutation though.

Hope this helps

Welcome to BYC!

Unfortunately, that quail looks like it could be a male because of the lack of spots on it's chest. Wait a little longer to be sure though.

The second picture looks like a rosetta to me.

As for the chick, My guess would be similar to the wildtype colour but a slightly lighter variant. I'm not exactly sure which mutation though.

Hope this helps
Thank you for the swift reply. I thought it might be male from lack of spots but was hoping it would be too early to tell. Can the males that grew up together stay in a pen with no females.

That first one is a boy. I agree that the second one looks like a rosetta. The chick could develop in a few ways. Do you know what the parents look like?

That first one is a boy. I agree that the second one looks like a rosetta. The chick could develop in a few ways. Do you know what the parents look like?
I'm not sure what the parents look like. I purchased the fertile eggs from a farm where they had a mix of colours. I had 10 hatch, 6 that look like wilds, 2 Italians, one A&M and this little golden brown one
IMG_20210125_165304894~2.jpg

The top one is definitely male, the red chest is a sure indicator.

the second looks like a Rosetta that favors its wild type ancestry. The range pattern is incompletely dominant to the wild pattern, so it is not uncommon for wild coloring and patterning to bleed thru. As the bird ages you will probably see more wild pattern traits develop. I have a Rosetta colored boy with wild pattern markings in many areas, including mild striping down his back, yours looks more wild colored than mine. It took a full 5-6 months for the wild traits to really all show up on mine.

Back
Top Bottom