Is my roost too wide?

jmeeter88

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
New Hartford, NY
I installed a roost the other day and it's two inched wide - is that too wide? I see a lot of people will small roosts but I thought I read that it's bad for their feet in the long run, something about spraddle foot...

Most folks use 2x4's, with the 4" width up, so no, it's not too wide. I have a 2x6 in one pen, and they seem fine with that one, too.

I build my roosts with 2x4 on edge so the 2" is the part they sit on..seems to work OK..

I think the ideal size would be what a chicken chooses to sit on..Around here, that would be the top of my drill press..LOL

.........jiminwisc..........

OK, so there is no concern over them sitting on a wider board as opposed to a narrower board? I have noticed that a fair amount of poop collects on it... Clearing it off has become a daily routine!

Do you see the top four rungs on this roost of mine? Those are as wide as a 2x4 underneath, but very rounded and smooth on top, that top about 3" wide. Those rungs never, never get poop on them, though the bottom 2x4's do. I love those. They came off a very heavy duty pallet and are perfect; they were 4' long, the perfect length for my alcove. Some of my birds have feet too big for a 2" surface, especially the breeder RIRs and the Orpingtons.
DCP_5749.jpg

Back
Top Bottom