Is my roost too wide?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jmeeter88, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    I installed a roost the other day and it's two inched wide - is that too wide? I see a lot of people will small roosts but I thought I read that it's bad for their feet in the long run, something about spraddle foot...

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Most folks use 2x4's, with the 4" width up, so no, it's not too wide. I have a 2x6 in one pen, and they seem fine with that one, too.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I build my roosts with 2x4 on edge so the 2" is the part they sit on..seems to work OK..

I think the ideal size would be what a chicken chooses to sit on..Around here, that would be the top of my drill press..LOL

.........jiminwisc..........

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    2x4 are better. It makes them sit on their feet , keeping them warm in the cold weather

5. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    OK, so there is no concern over them sitting on a wider board as opposed to a narrower board? I have noticed that a fair amount of poop collects on it... Clearing it off has become a daily routine!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Do you see the top four rungs on this roost of mine? Those are as wide as a 2x4 underneath, but very rounded and smooth on top, that top about 3" wide. Those rungs never, never get poop on them, though the bottom 2x4's do. I love those. They came off a very heavy duty pallet and are perfect; they were 4' long, the perfect length for my alcove. Some of my birds have feet too big for a 2" surface, especially the breeder RIRs and the Orpingtons.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by