Is my rooster being aggressive?

When I put my original question on here, I suppose I had been half hoping everyone would say my roo would get over it, but I knew in my heart of hearts that this sort of behaviour could get worse - and all your advice and comments have been really helpful!It was difficult making the decision to send my roo, Lala, to the great big chicken coop in the sky, and I did miss hearing him crow this morning, but I had to weigh the pros and cons. He did not just do "the dance", he actually ran towards me in a threatening way he had never done before. He had also been doing this to my neighbour - and no way was I going to risk him doing this to my grandchildren or others. We originally put Lala into a separate coop with three hens to keep him company (a few months ago). The run wasn't very big, so we let them run in the garden every day. We had separated Lala from the other hens as we did not want more chicks and, although we do of course collect the eggs every day, our hens are very clever at hiding the eggs in the most improbable places and then proudly presenting us with a dozen babies! As I said before, there was too much inbreeding going on, too. I did not like the idea of keeping Lala shut in the small run - on the few times I have done it for various reasons he spent all day running backwards and forwards like a lion in a cage. I do not have the possibility to make the run bigger. So I had to be able to trust him in the garden..... which I could no longer do. I have seen roos at my parent-in-laws farm chasing our children up haystacks (which my father-in-law thought was really funny!). One would walk up behind us and then, when we turned round, he would stop and look the other way.... only to creep up behind us again when started walking again. I swear he knew exactly what he was doing!! So, although I miss Lala and am sorry it had to end the way it did, I am very grateful for all the help I've been given here - and for the funny comments and recipes!! Thank you all xxxxx:love

So you’re saying that a year old rooster has to be killed without even trying to make this work ? I’m incredibly disappointed, I thought there would be ideas to help , not just off with his head!! Are there really perfect roosters out there?? He’s so nice and good with us, he’s over zealous with 5 hens is that not normal ???
that's pretty normal.
If you get more hens he would probably spread it more out. I have a flock with four adult roosters and many juveniles and they are fine. If anyone even looks at me funny though: it's death. The reason the flock stays orderly is a one year old Buckeye rooster who took the flock by sheer size and immense strength. Though he has a no interlopers rule he is gentle with the hens and other roosters. I've had many agressive roosters, so their death was inevitable. I love the roosters I have around and can't really imagine not having any.
Give him a few more hens. I didn't know he only had five. He needs twice as many. :lau

The difference between a flock with several roosters and hens, is space. I am betting that the poster above has a huge amount of space for her flock. And the original poster is in a much smaller set up. It is easy to add more hens, but what is not easy to do is add more space, and if you are short space, more birds are going to bring on a whole other set of problems.

I have been guilty of this, I read a problem, and I think of my own set up, how I have done something that helped.

Just the facts;
  • Coops and runs tend to be built and unchanging
  • Measure
  • Free ranging will not make up for a too small coop
  • Roosters can be nice or mean
  • Don’t keep a mean one (opinion)
Mrs K

There's a report somewhere from 'old timer breeders' that talked about the feather quality of the individual hen as being an issue, not just rooster mating behavior. I'm tending to think this way myself, at least to some degree, and have removed bare backed hens from my breeding group. Because, watching my flock, I really don't see a big difference in frequency of 'rooster visits' to either type of hen.
More input needed!
Mary

The difference between a flock with several roosters and hens, is space. I am betting that the poster above has a huge amount of space for her flock. And the original poster is in a much smaller set up. It is easy to add more hens, but what is not easy to do is add more space, and if you are short space, more birds are going to bring on a whole other set of problems.

I have been guilty of this, I read a problem, and I think of my own set up, how I have done something that helped.

Just the facts;
  • Coops and runs tend to be built and unchanging
  • Measure
  • Free ranging will not make up for a too small coop
  • Roosters can be nice or mean
  • Don’t keep a mean one (opinion)
Mrs K
Oh yes. One acre of space. Forgot to mention that. They free range and there isn't a terribly huge coop, but lots of roosting space. They also share it with ducks.

I keep ALL of my boys in a separate stag pen... from the time I can identify they are boys. I do this both to control my genetics and over breeding. They have company in each other, which is NOT always a good thing. The younger boys once settled in go about their business foraging in their good size paddock. The more hormonal boys pace the fence steadily... not like a caged lion, like a hormonal stag who wants to chase some tail and spread his seed. :bun This NO MATTER how large their pasture is. I don't feel ONE bit sad for them... they were hatched and raised here, live the good life, had good nutrition, water, plenty of space, shelter, and parasite control. Things animals in nature DON'T always get or have. Nature can be very brutal.

I hang out with my stags same as I do any of my other birds. They are beautiful creatures... YES I have seen testes bigger than the brain! Funny some of the boys learned they could use me as a shield from the other boys... which led them to believe I was "safe" and before long one was showing signs of not stepping out of my way. I gave him a quick schooling which he did respond to BUT, he had already been identified as a non keeper so he still met his swift fate.

Those of us who do process and consume our birds doesn't mean we are heartless or hateful. Lost my head rooster to an accident this past season. My best boy so far... didn't quite make 2 years old. We have processed quite a few and each one that hatches we go in knowing they could be on the dinner table. I still found I shed some tears when it finally set in he was gone. :hit Which made me happy because as a someone who breeds with a purpose of quality... I have made some VERY tough calls about culling and also let a lot of very good birds go to new homes with only a couple making "pet status" where they won't likely be rehomed or eaten. So I'm thrilled to see that I haven't hardened or numbed and it isn't just about raising random animals. I do what I do because I love it. Still, no life goes to waste if we can help it... and when that boy had an accident with no suspicion of illness or disease... we processed him. I just hope any of my grow out will measure up. It's so hard getting past the SUPER hormonal teenage phase. :barnie

Regarding treatment of other animals... hens can be just as brutal as roosters... relentless on the weak. And sometimes I can feel just as hateful towards them as a stag that acts out. Gosh the antics I have seen in the animal world really clues me into knowing that the human world as ugly as we make it out to be... is no different then what happens in nature. :hmm Thank God for letting me see all the wonderful things in animal AND human world!

NO... keeping a stag in a pen is not cruel IMHO. Maybe not desirable or ideal, but there are other animals around so it isn't total seclusion. They often have visitors hanging out right next to them. What IS cruel... broilers raised for the market by big chicken. People who can't "eat their pets" have non problem eating other animals that weren't raised with any sort of kindness shown them... WON'T be able to guilt trip me just because I saw my animal while it was still alive. Removing yourself from the truth, doesn't remove the truth. :confused:

Besides... a boy would *probably* rather pace a cage than be dead. He isn't thinking "poor me, why do they have me caged"... he's thinking "how can I get to that hen".

Glad the issue has been resolved.. and no one in this instance will be facing injured grand children! :highfive:

I'm NOT a rooster hater, but nor do I advocate that all should live happily ever after. Each and EVERY situation and rooster is unique... Another thread I saw... the 11 month old has already attacked the gal and her roommate on several occasions but not her boyfriend YET... and they aren't ready to cull. Personal and poor choice IMO, but we all have to do what WE can live with after seeking advice from peeps with experience.

watching my flock, I really don't see a big difference in frequency of 'rooster visits' to either type of hen.
I haven't had any bare backs since I will pen my stag quick like... but I will keep this in mind. So far I do notice some hens taking it more often than others. But from a breeder (or sustainable home) perspective, Good point regarding feather quality of individuals. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom