Is my silkie a hen or a rooster? please and thank you

II raise nothing but silkies. Pic 3 says it all A Boy! His head feathers are doing what I call the Elvis impersonation. Hair slicked back! Now is the time to become his best buddy if you want to be able to control him better. males. That are handled ALOT and loved will be putty in your hands and much easier to control. he is a beauty!

I would say cockerel, sorry to be another downer. His crest worries me here. A stringy and messy crest is usually a male. Females will be simple and even. But the lack of even spur stubs could mean a pullet. I lean towards pullet, but it could go either way.

No matter how this ends up, silkies rooaters are generally docile.
if this bird was full grown I would say hen because my hens have combs as big as his.

I have a bearded white silkie who I am almost sure is a male. He is younger than this silkie. He has a huge dark purple comb and wattles. This is definitely a hen.
Well, to each their own, but- I thought this bird was a pullet for the longest time:

Then it turned into this:

I'd pegged this one as a cockerel, because of the messy crest:

It turned into this, a lovely hen:

Obviously, I'm not saying I'm right, but I am saying they can fool you. But, neither of these birds had that much wattle or comb (or color) in their younger days. I still very much think the Silkie in question is a male. I've gotten quite a bit better at telling gender on them since these birds were little, but take my opinion for what its worth, which sometimes isn't much!

Last edited:
Well, to each their own, but- I thought this bird was a pullet for the longest time:

Then it turned into this:

I'd pegged this one as a cockerel, because of the messy crest:

It turned into this, a lovely hen:

Obviously, I'm not saying I'm right, but I am saying they can fool you. But, neither of these birds had that much wattle or comb (or color) in their younger days. I still very much think the Silkie in question is a male. I've gotten quite a bit better at telling gender on them since these birds were little, but take my opinion for what its worth, which sometimes isn't much!

I hope I wasn't sounding arrogant or anything... I'm leaning towards pullet but you maybe very right.

I'm usually not
wink.png

I hope its a pullet too, but it just says boy to me!
fl.gif
for you!

You are too nice. Its probably you who's right!

Back
Top Bottom