Is nastiness breed specific?

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
In my yard and coops I have. Muscovies, sumatras. silkies, Barred rocks, Polish, Beltsvilles, Boubon reds and EE's.

Out of all these birds, my Belts hens are the nastiest of them all. It doesn't seem to matter how slowly I integrate new birds in with the flock, as soon as they are finally allowed out of their Temporary, getting to know the flock pens. The hens(not the tom) chase them relentlessly for days! The Bourbons don't bother them at all.

Are the belts in general a more aggressive breed? ( Ours have never been aggressive to us, just the new birds).

Yes the turkey hens in general are very aggressive with any new comers, specially the Beltsville Hens. Ours are not agressive towards us or anyone else that comes into their pen, but new birds (chickens or turkeys) they will run them down and peck them on top of their head until they submit. We watch them from a distance to make sure no blood is drawn but we leave them alone until the pecking order is sorted out. Usually everyone is getting along within a matter of a few hours.
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom