Is Rocky too old for the stew pot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheri, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Now ya'll know Rocky is my favorite. We finally found out he is a Roo. He is about 4 months old. He attacked me this morning!!! I chased him back. Then ....when my back was turned.......I stepped into the yellow shed and he chased me!!!! I threw a plastic dish at him. He attacked my husband yesterday also.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

For a regular ol bird, 4 months is perfect. Butcher him and be sure to age over night for maximum tenderness and you'll be good to go. Won't be store bird cornish x meaty but will be much more flavorful. Good luck!

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    u can put a rope acrossed his legg almost like hand cuffing him instead its his feet theat way he cant run as fast.

4. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Well Im hoping he won't have to go. He is the only one that does it. Maybe he thinks Im his chicken? He does what the other two do to the hens.

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Coq au vin!

But is it normal to find out at 4 mos that it's a roo? I thought I was free and clear.

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    If I were you I would try to keep him. Just don't run from him. When you run he'll just keep doing it. You have to show him that YOU are the boss, not him. Don't back down. Get a good water gun and shot him with it whenever he tries to get you.

If that doesn't work, fry him up. [​IMG]

7. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    We always kept a nice selection of sticks at the gate to the chicken yard. If a rooster came at us, we would give him a dandy smack. Then chase him around the chicken yard a while. Let him know who is boss there. Again, let me say that life is too short to take crap from a chicken.

Rufus

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Only time they are too old for the pot is if they been collecting flies in the yard all day!!

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    My grandma who keept chickens for 60+ years always said if a rooster reared up to her then second time he did it you hit it good with the shovel and it will never do that again, and then youve determined what is for diner on sunday :eek:

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

That's great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by