Is Rocky too old for the stew pot?

Cheri

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2007
Dayton, TX
Now ya'll know Rocky is my favorite. We finally found out he is a Roo. He is about 4 months old. He attacked me this morning!!! I chased him back. Then ....when my back was turned.......I stepped into the yellow shed and he chased me!!!! I threw a plastic dish at him. He attacked my husband yesterday also.

For a regular ol bird, 4 months is perfect. Butcher him and be sure to age over night for maximum tenderness and you'll be good to go. Won't be store bird cornish x meaty but will be much more flavorful. Good luck!

Well Im hoping he won't have to go. He is the only one that does it. Maybe he thinks Im his chicken? He does what the other two do to the hens.

If I were you I would try to keep him. Just don't run from him. When you run he'll just keep doing it. You have to show him that YOU are the boss, not him. Don't back down. Get a good water gun and shot him with it whenever he tries to get you.

If that doesn't work, fry him up.
sad.png

We always kept a nice selection of sticks at the gate to the chicken yard. If a rooster came at us, we would give him a dandy smack. Then chase him around the chicken yard a while. Let him know who is boss there. Again, let me say that life is too short to take crap from a chicken.

Rufus

My grandma who keept chickens for 60+ years always said if a rooster reared up to her then second time he did it you hit it good with the shovel and it will never do that again, and then youve determined what is for diner on sunday :eek:

Back
Top Bottom