Is she broody?

Eggmachine11

Chirping
Feb 8, 2015
MO
I have a BO hen who is soon to be 2 years this upcoming spring!(Happy early early birtday!),she seems to have laid the egg,but she isn't moving.I have not saw a bare belly,but I have saw her kinda poof up,and every so often she like mumbles a meow or something.

Any guesses?

I have a BO hen who is soon to be 2 years this upcoming spring!(Happy early early birtday!),she seems to have laid the egg,but she isn't moving.I have not saw a bare belly,but I have saw her kinda poof up,and every so often she like mumbles a meow or something.

Any guesses?

If she stays on the nest for 2 or 3 nights it's possible. Sometimes BO's will brood but over all I don't trust them to stick it out. I hope yours is one of the few who do and you get chickies! Just watch her close and if you can do a quick health inspection that would be good.
smile.png

Any guesses?

It does sound like the beginning of broody behavior. Like the other poster said, if she stays on the nest, pretty much 24 hours, for the next couple of days, she is brooding.

I have had a Buff Orpington stick it out for the 3 weeks. I didn't use her at the time to hatch chicks, but she did stay the course.

Some Buff Orp lines are very broody, and many have made fine mothers. Some are not.

If you want to use her, do so, just keep a plan B (incubator fired up) in case she quits. I have actually had great luck with first time broodies staying the course and doing a decent job of mothering. Then never go broody again, but they did a great one time job.

Place your pics and questions on the Broody Hen Thread...we always love to encourage broodies there :D
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread/7300#post_14780889

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
Sounds like the beginning of broody behavior. It can go either way with BOs. My hatchery BO did a great job of incubating the entire 21 days, but would then crush or kill the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom