Is she broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eggmachine11, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I have a BO hen who is soon to be 2 years this upcoming spring!(Happy early early birtday!),she seems to have laid the egg,but she isn't moving.I have not saw a bare belly,but I have saw her kinda poof up,and every so often she like mumbles a meow or something.

Any guesses?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    If she stays on the nest for 2 or 3 nights it's possible. Sometimes BO's will brood but over all I don't trust them to stick it out. I hope yours is one of the few who do and you get chickies! Just watch her close and if you can do a quick health inspection that would be good. [​IMG]

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It does sound like the beginning of broody behavior. Like the other poster said, if she stays on the nest, pretty much 24 hours, for the next couple of days, she is brooding.

I have had a Buff Orpington stick it out for the 3 weeks. I didn't use her at the time to hatch chicks, but she did stay the course.

Some Buff Orp lines are very broody, and many have made fine mothers. Some are not.

If you want to use her, do so, just keep a plan B (incubator fired up) in case she quits. I have actually had great luck with first time broodies staying the course and doing a decent job of mothering. Then never go broody again, but they did a great one time job.

Place your pics and questions on the Broody Hen Thread...we always love to encourage broodies there :D
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread/7300#post_14780889

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Sounds like the beginning of broody behavior. It can go either way with BOs. My hatchery BO did a great job of incubating the entire 21 days, but would then crush or kill the chicks.

5. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    :Update:
    She has moved...

6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    That figures! At least now you know that BO's are unpredictable brooders and sometimes just toy with the idea. Maybe down the road she'll do it right.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by