Is she choking ??? Help

MaeM

Songster
Dec 9, 2020
My hen... I don't know if she ate something that she shouldn't but she started gasping for air and hid in this bush. She kinda sneezes every now and then...but she makes sounds when she breathes/has breathing difficulties as she raises up her head to breathe...

What can I do? I don't have a vet available right now

IMG-20220627-WA0001.jpeg

This is a good point about the saddle. I would also question how the saddle is attached. Sometimes raising the head can be adjusting the crop, so if the saddle is interfering with the crops ability to move, this could be causing some distress.
Yes I agree. I would def remove it ASAP just to be sure. As she shouldn’t wear it in distress anyways.

She is alive only because we are giving her corticosteroids. Otherwise she is suffocating.

The diagnosis has recently changed to wet pox because white patches appeared on her throat.

There isn't a solution for this, isnt it? I'm thinking about culling her
I would probably cull her at this point - between the vet and the people here giving advice, if there was a solution, I'd think we'd find it by now.

Pneumonia is a horrible way to go. Some sage advice that was given to me on this forum "It is better to put them down a week early than an hour late." She may have some time left, but it generally sounds like she is going toward the same end. In my eyes, the only thing that can really be changed here is the amount of suffering.

I'm sorry.

Is your hen still alive?

Yes. I couldn't find a vet to cull her and then I saw her eating, drinking, walking around... I took her out and she spent a while scratching the soil and eating bugs... I couldn't call the vet to cull her after I saw that.

She is not okay, I mean she still whistles when she breathes, and there are times in which she has to stay still and just breathe, especially after she moved around.

But she has a strong will to live and maybe, just maybe, the antibiotics are slowly working on her condition. The vet isn't sure about the wet pox diagnosis now, he's given up looking for a diagnosis, he wants just to give her time to improve. The white patches literally "melted" in her throat.

I still have to give her corticosteroids every 6 or 8 hours to help her breathe, and diuretics to remove the liquid from her lungs. It's tiring... but the vet has a hope that she'll go through this

So, first course of action, we need to get her to a position where we can better examine her. Having multiple people around to try to herd her out of there will probably help.

Once you have done this, I would inspect her crop to see if that is very hard. My early prediction is that she may have an impacted crop, but we would need more information to make this determination.

Her crop feels soft when I touch it. Her throat looks clear

But she keeps breathing like this, sneezing violently, and putting her tail down

What is the temp? With that saddle on, if it is very hot she may be having heatstroke.

It's actually cold in here! About 9 Celsius

She had heat stress in the summer but she didn't do these sounds. Sounds like a whistle and she stretches her neck a lot

Is the saddle to tight? I read a saddle that is too tight could strangle a bird.
This is a good point about the saddle. I would also question how the saddle is attached. Sometimes raising the head can be adjusting the crop, so if the saddle is interfering with the crops ability to move, this could be causing some distress.

Back
Top Bottom