Is she choking ??? Help

She is alive only because we are giving her corticosteroids. Otherwise she is suffocating.

The diagnosis has recently changed to wet pox because white patches appeared on her throat.

There isn't a solution for this, isnt it? I'm thinking about culling her
I would probably cull her at this point - between the vet and the people here giving advice, if there was a solution, I'd think we'd find it by now.

Pneumonia is a horrible way to go. Some sage advice that was given to me on this forum "It is better to put them down a week early than an hour late." She may have some time left, but it generally sounds like she is going toward the same end. In my eyes, the only thing that can really be changed here is the amount of suffering.

I'm sorry.

She is alive only because we are giving her corticosteroids. Otherwise she is suffocating.

The diagnosis has recently changed to wet pox because white patches appeared on her throat.

There isn't a solution for this, isnt it? I'm thinking about culling her
Is your hen still alive?

Is your hen still alive?

Yes. I couldn't find a vet to cull her and then I saw her eating, drinking, walking around... I took her out and she spent a while scratching the soil and eating bugs... I couldn't call the vet to cull her after I saw that.

She is not okay, I mean she still whistles when she breathes, and there are times in which she has to stay still and just breathe, especially after she moved around.

But she has a strong will to live and maybe, just maybe, the antibiotics are slowly working on her condition. The vet isn't sure about the wet pox diagnosis now, he's given up looking for a diagnosis, he wants just to give her time to improve. The white patches literally "melted" in her throat.

I still have to give her corticosteroids every 6 or 8 hours to help her breathe, and diuretics to remove the liquid from her lungs. It's tiring... but the vet has a hope that she'll go through this

Yes. I couldn't find a vet to cull her and then I saw her eating, drinking, walking around... I took her out and she spent a while scratching the soil and eating bugs... I couldn't call the vet to cull her after I saw that.

She is not okay, I mean she still whistles when she breathes, and there are times in which she has to stay still and just breathe, especially after she moved around.

But she has a strong will to live and maybe, just maybe, the antibiotics are slowly working on her condition. The vet isn't sure about the wet pox diagnosis now, he's given up looking for a diagnosis, he wants just to give her time to improve. The white patches literally "melted" in her throat.

I still have to give her corticosteroids every 6 or 8 hours to help her breathe, and diuretics to remove the liquid from her lungs. It's tiring... but the vet has a hope that she'll go through this

UPDATE

She is almost at the end of her treatment with antibiotics. She has laid several eggs and tries to have a normal life, but her respiratory issues haven't disappeared. She breathes almost normally when she sleeps, but with activity, she ends up opening her beak to breathe. And lately, she has been sneezing a lot - very violent sneezes that interrupt what she is doing.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be happening? Both the vet and I are confused. I mean, the treatment seemed to take her out of her initial (and critical) condition, but why doesn't she fully recover? What are we missing?

Any other hens sneezing? I'm curious if the environment is a bit dusty for her and maybe needs better ventilation.

If not, any discharge from the nostrils?

Any other hens sneezing? I'm curious if the environment is a bit dusty for her and maybe needs better ventilation.

If not, any discharge from the nostrils?

No, the other hens sneeze once every now and then, like normal chickens. But this is totally different. It is frequent and it's violent, like a tic.

I'm not sure about the environment, but I took her out of the room she was locked in when she was critically ill. Now, I let her sunbathe and etc. during the day and I take her to the room to sleep. So she isn't always in the same environment. She breathes fresh air, too.

And no, I haven't noticed any discharge from the nostrils, that's why I don't know what's wrong with her anymore. Does gapeworm cause this? If so, how can I diagnose her? Would the worm be visible in her trachea?

Her only symptoms are the whistling sounds when she breathes and these violent sneezes. And she's been on a combination of antibiotics, diuretics, and bronchodilators for almost two weeks now.

Could it be an unrelated obstruction?

How is your hen?

No significant changes. She whistles when she breathes, at times she can have a normal chicken life and then she has "asthma attacks" in which she gasps for air and sneezes violently, apparently it gets worse with wet weather, stress, and exercise. Today I had to give her a shot to help her breathe. But maybe tomorrow she'll have a good day - it's kinda unpredictable at this point

Back
Top Bottom