1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she really that smart?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Oakrosemama, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Oakrosemama

Oakrosemama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    I let the girls out of their run for some free range time every day, and they love to huddle by this tree and it drive me nuts to chase them around to get them back in their house. I can't wait till dark for them to go themselves since we have to let the dogs out at some point. So I've been luring them with food or herding them in and I say "va pa' tu casa(--go to your house). I've said it every time they go in. the past few days I got near them and said it and they went in..of course they were following rosie (smartest, leader). do you think she could have figured that out? word "casa" means go in? if so that would be awesome!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    She may think it means food, and that's where she get the good stuff.

3. doop

doop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    n.e minnesota
    When I was a in 4th grade we hatched some chicks in class i took them home and i had a rooster named speedy. When i came out side waved my arms and told him to get in the coop he would round up the girls and herd them in for the night. He was a great roo. He died protecting his girls one night from neighbors dog busting into coop. Saved his girls though. Now I can't find one who won't flog me.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

The solution to your problem is obvious. Go back to 4th grade and raise another. [​IMG]

5. SilkieCrazy123

SilkieCrazy123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Antelope, CA America
    [​IMG] HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by