is she show quaility

Sillystunt

Master of the Silly
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Winter Haven, FL
So i am very confused on what makes a chicken show quaility......Does breed matter? i have a RIR but i feel she is tooo lighty. i have another pullet that is darker but still needs to grow...here's the pic's

13039_pokey7878.jpg

here's the pullet, much darker

13039_daisy.jpg

my nephew wants to do 4h and i was gonna let him use our hen

The first one looks like a mix between a RIR and a Buff Orp. The legs are white when they should be yellow. The second one would be fine to use, but I don't think it would be old enough? Not sure.

If they came from a hatchery, they are not show quality. No, the first one is not, the second is too young.

They should be at least 20 weeks old to take to a show.

pips&peeps :

If they came from a hatchery, they are not show quality. No, the first one is not, the second is too young.

They should be at least 20 weeks old to take to a show.

I'll just add this:
"They should be at least 20 weeks old to take to a show (and WIN!)"

You can take any bird to a show...but if you plan on winning, quality and maturity counts.​

They are both too light. If you want a hatchery bird for him to do 4H with, avoid RIRs as they are never the right color.

thanks!! I figured first one was a no go, i believed she was a mutt...lol
The second one i will train for him. She doesn't like people which maybe a problem. Might push the barred rock on him. She is sooo good with people and super friendly.

So would you suggest breeds from a breeder in future? I saw some dorkings at a hatchery~ But should i look for a breeder instead. i think he would love showing them and i would like a couple as well,,,,lol

Back
Top Bottom