Is she too small?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Nov 25, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    My white leghorn pullet is 22 weeks. I know white leghorns have a slight build, but her pen-mate, a black star, whom is ten weeks younger than her, is much bigger! Why is this? Is it natural? The WL comb is getting bigger or redder...but is she too small to lay? She seems to eat all the time- they all do. Maybe the black star is just big? She's bigger than her hatchmate...

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Even the very smallest hens will lay, so I doubt that her size will make any difference. The Black Star is simply a a bigger bird, as far as I can tell from your description.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A white leghorn is a slight bird. A Black Sex Link is normally a cross of two rather large bodied birds. I would think it completely normal for a BSL to dwarf a Leghorn.

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I have California Whites (a type of leghorn cross) and they are very small in comparison to my BA and BO. Mine do quite well. I did not get eggs from anyone until 26 or more weeks of age.
    Now they lay everyday!

5. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    My bantam Austrolorp weighs 600 grams and lays a 35 gram egg every second day. Size is not an indicator of laying ability.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by