Is shipping hatching duck eggs a bad idea?

Jan 19, 2021
Minnesota
Hello! I have a friend they may ship me a couple eggs this summer to hatch! Super excited for this but Is there anything I should know before this happens? How does it work? And they are fine without being in an incubator on their trip? I’m so excited although it’s not for sure we will get any. I’m also wondering how I would incubate them! When they arrive would I just put them in? (Still need to do research on how incubators work) but those are all my questions for now!🙂

I have never incubated duck eggs, but I know about chicken eggs. Shipping shouldn’t be a problem, but you should know that when they are being delivered, they could go under some rough treatment which could lead to cracks in the eggs. They will be fine without an incubator if they are treated carefully. When you get them, let them sit for 24 hours before putting them in an incubator.

I have never incubated duck eggs, but I know about chicken eggs. Shipping shouldn’t be a problem, but you should know that when they are being delivered, they could go under some rough treatment which could lead to cracks in the eggs. They will be fine without an incubator if they are treated carefully. When you get them, let them sit for 24 hours before putting them in an incubator.
Ok that’s good to know! I’ll be sure to do that! Thank you!

Get twice as many as the number of ducklings you want to end up with as shipped eggs often have a much lower hatch rate than those from your own flock, or bought and picked up locally. It all depends on the trip they have to you.

This is an excellent guide, and although it is in the Goose forum it is applicable to all species of bird eggs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

Good luck with hatching some cute little ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom