is something going wrong? pics added

lovinRIRs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 5, 2011
first hello everyone. I am new on here but not to owning birds. I have a flock of 19 RIRs and 6 guineas. i always bought chicks already hatched, never hatched my own. so any help or insight is appreciated.
i have a hova 1602 forced air. 76% humidity 99.5 degrees F. they started to pip/hatch on day 20. out of 23 eggs 4 have died. all fully formed and piped some zipped. right now 2 are part way out peeping strong about 6 hours now. 7 are totally out and fine. 12 not pipped at all. Is this normal? or am i doing something wrong?
i would post pics but since i'm new on here it won't let me. i can email to someone if you would like.

Last edited:
Sorry to read this

But dont give up..

I like to know how was your humidity from day 1 to day 18

it may be helpfull to see photos , so we all can help you. This place is full of experienced people

Is your 76% humidity what you've had for the whole incubation period or just the last 3 days??
I personally go 35% the first 18 days & then up it to 55% for the last 3 days...I live in very humid Louisiana. As the chicks begin to hatch, the hatching process will bump up the humidity also. The problem with having your humidity too high during the incubation period is that your chicks can drown when they pip the internal membrane.

Shipped eggs or your own?? If shipped, hatching 50% is an excellant hatch! Shipped eggs are a gamble.

Edited to add:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
there is an upload button right up on that blue line, when I was new here lit let me first day upload pics.. sorry this happened to you..did you candle along the way to make sure eeverything was OK? was humdity lower during first part of hatch? lot of people in here have had high success with dry hatch method.. maybe the others need another day or 2..

the humidity is only that high since they started hatching. i kept it between 40 -50% like the bator instructions said to. at lockdown i upped it to 60%. the ones that died seemed like they were dried out. the white layer around them under the shell is white like paper. the layer under that is clear. the eggs are from my own hens not shipped. they all candled alive up to lockdown. how do i lower the humidity now? the vents have been open. i only opened the bator today to get the 7 out as they were playing hockey with the other eggs. lol

this is what the dead ones looked like.
81697_lucky_031.jpg

this one just hatched an little while ago.
81697_lucky_032.jpg

Quote:
75% is way to high....Especially when they start hatching and the chicks are drying it bumps it up even higher. I keep mine at about 50% from beginning to end.
Is your hygrometer calibrated? Do you have humidity where you live? I am in Florida and never add water to my bator....
The bolded part of your post is how the egg is supposed to look when they are hatching.

ETA because I just saw the pics you posted that it is almost definitely due to your humidity being too high.....It causes you to get what's called sticky chicks. I would take all the water out (as much as possible) leave the vents open and hope for the best
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
75% is way to high....Especially when they start hatching and the chicks are drying it bumps it up even higher. I keep mine at about 50% from beginning to end.
Is your hygrometer calibrated? Do you have humidity where you live? I am in Florida and never add water to my bator....
The bolded part of your post is how the egg is supposed to look when they are hatching.

ok so i just need to wait then. i just got concerned when the 4 died and looked normal.
how do i get the humidity down now?
the vents are open and there is some water in the bottom trays but not all are full just a small amount in all of them. i am in PA and its raining all day. my humidity is about 50% on my gauge outside the bator in the room where they are.

Back
Top Bottom