Is Something Wrong With Ethel???

B649D16E-AF17-4C52-BC84-3150A4099E06.jpeg
0F9D4A02-68D7-4BEC-8E1B-9CB9E05EE7BB.jpeg
These are the only ones i can find of him young. He was bout three months in these i think. And see how much fluff he still has.... way way more than any of the others. It also gives you a compare to yours for possible id.

View attachment 1305832 View attachment 1305833 These are the only ones i can find of him young. He was bout three months in these i think. And see how much fluff he still has.... way way more than any of the others. It also gives you a compare to yours for possible id.
Oh my, Ethel looks just like yours at that age! This is a picture of her (please God, let it be a her!) today at 8 weeks. And a photo of Black Bart. She has no red on her comb and no red wattles, so I'm continuing to be hopeful. She is a little troublemaker however. She challenges all the girls and pecks the ones at the lowest in the pecking order.

Ethel 8 weeks small.jpg black bart 7 weeks small.jpg
:fl

Oh my, Ethel looks just like yours at that age! This is a picture of her (please God, let it be a her!) today at 8 weeks. And a photo of Black Bart. She has no red on her comb and no red wattles, so I'm continuing to be hopeful. She is a little troublemaker however. She challenges all the girls and pecks the ones at the lowest in the pecking order.

View attachment 1318205 View attachment 1318206
:fl

:lau:lau:lau:lau You jus keep tellin yourself that. Dark brahmas are a big bird so it takes them longer to mature. Grey didnt get wattles or comb til uhhhh five or six months old maybe. It was a LONG time after everyone else. Usually they are great birds though. He is the most gentle roo and he is an awesome one as well. I recently told hubby that when we needed more roos i wanted more of him. He rarely crows and even them it is a deep crow nt high and ear piercing. The only time he does is once of a mornin and when stranger go into their run. That is it.

:lau:lau:lau:lau You jus keep tellin yourself that. Dark brahmas are a big bird so it takes them longer to mature. Grey didnt get wattles or comb til uhhhh five or six months old maybe. It was a LONG time after everyone else. Usually they are great birds though. He is the most gentle roo and he is an awesome one as well. I recently told hubby that when we needed more roos i wanted more of him. He rarely crows and even them it is a deep crow nt high and ear piercing. The only time he does is once of a mornin and when stranger go into their run. That is it.
Now I'm all worried again. I couldn't sleep last night and when I did I had dreams of the chickens and Ethel being an Edgar! The reason I don't want that is because last time I ordered a rooster (Elwood P. Dowd) and then by chance or error had to change Margaret's name to Cody. The two of them chased each other all the time and by the time Elwood died Cody was very, very mean. He was a coward too, he'd wait until your back was turned and then attack you. He bloodied me many times and I don't want that again. I don't mind roosters that are "nice" meaning they ignore me pretty much. I watched all my chicks today when I free ranged them and they all (or almost all) are challenging each other, raising hackle feathers and still working out the pecking order. So it's not just Ethel. They will be nine weeks on Tuesday, I guess I'll have to calm down and wait and see! I like your Picture, Happy Easter! :fl free range area fenced small.jpg

Brahmas are very docile even the roos.
At 9 weeks Ethel (Elmer?) hasn't changed much. I've been letting my flock free range and she did jump in my lap and let me "pet" her once. Husband was in the front yard this morning and heard what he called a "learning" crow. I would think it's Black Bart. I watched the flock outside again today and it's all running, flying, confronting one another and more running! So entertaining! I watch for hours (and I shouldn't)!!
run run small.jpg run to coop small.jpg Bart runs small.jpg confrontation chickens small.jpg chickens run small.jpg

View attachment 1305832 View attachment 1305833 These are the only ones i can find of him young. He was bout three months in these i think. And see how much fluff he still has.... way way more than any of the others. It also gives you a compare to yours for possible id.
It's official, today (9 weeks old!) Black Bart, (the black giant rooster that was supposed to be a hen) started to crow. While I was feeding them breakfast he just broke out and tried his best! He crowed about 8 times. Sounds so funny when they learn and I think it's pretty early for him to crow! I'm also noticing more red on Ethel's (maybe Elmer's) comb. She is letting me pet her chest more now especially while in the coop. Whatever she/he turns out to be I really like her/him! If they get along I'm ok with a 2nd rooster now!
:love
As an aside, I was invited to visit my neighbor farm's new baby goats and sheep. So cute, so friendly, I need some of these too!
Judy and baby goat small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom