is something wrong with my RIR

sundance

Songster
12 Years
I have 22 female and 2 roos RIR. as far as i know they are in good health, they eat about 50 lbs of feed a week, at this time they are about 22 weeks old, so i thought we should be getting some eggs. my dh says if they don't start laying very soon they will laying out on the BBQ grill for our dinner, can any body help me I'm getting desperate.
th.gif

All my chickens turned 22 weeks yesterday and i have not found an egg yet. Mine are of 4 different breeds and all making me wait. You'll get them.

I bet it will happen soon. I have 6 RIR pullets that are 24 wks old. One of mine started laying at about 22 wks and it wasn't even the most mature looking one. It was very sporatic. Then
BAM, last week when we had cooler weather they were all going crazy in and out of the coop and fussing and squawking. I had 2 more lay last Wed, then another one started on Thur.....it was a trickling effect. I think by this week all 6 are laying and all in the nest boxes. It was very exciting to get 7 eggs a few days ago. Be patient and keep us posted!

Cockerals in the hen house cause added stress, and will cause the hens to take longer to lay. The competition between the cockerals has the pullets looking for a safe haven to be left alone which prolly can't be found.
Mating is all the cockerals care about, while the pullets would just like to start to laying.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom