Is Sweet-Pea a "he"?

Lelanae

Songster
7 Years
Nov 3, 2015
South Eastern Pennsylvania

Barred Plymouth Rock about 8 weeks old. Comb and wattles are more developed than his/her siblings.
Sadly, I can't keep a 'roo. I don't see saddle feathers, but how often are girls lighter in color like this?

Last edited:
Without a picture of the bird, I can't tell you whether you have a male or female 100%. But I can offer you some ways to help spot boys.
When it comes to purebred barred birds, males look lighter because they have two copies of the barring gene. Females can only ever have one. Any chick with a red comb by 10 weeks old is male. Pullets don't start to turn red until they are getting close to laying age.
Male specific feathering doesn't begin to develop until about ten weeks old, and it can take several more weeks for it to be visible.

welcome-byc.gif

I agree you have a cockerel. Hackle and saddle feathers don't show up until around 12ish weeks. But that light color, solid yellow legs and comb all spell male.

I'd start looking into options for a new home for him now. It's not always easy to get rid of cockerels and if you wait until he's crowing, you may have issues with the neighbors.

welcome-byc.gif

I agree you have a cockerel. Hackle and saddle feathers don't show up until around 12ish weeks. But that light color, solid yellow legs and comb all spell male.

I'd start looking into options for a new home for him now. It's not always easy to get rid of cockerels and if you wait until he's crowing, you may have issues with the neighbors.

X2 on donrae's post. :eek:(

Back
Top Bottom