Is the a mixed silkie, a recessive gene or just deformed?

Easter_pink_silkies

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Northern Virginia
This poor dear came to me when i reqeusted a black silkie, when i saw her crooked little face and funny comb, i felt so bad for (after hearing the breeder say i didnt mean to grab that one. she apoligized and said she'd take her home a "do away with her") i knew she'd be comin home with me anyway.
now he crooked face and beak could be anything from a naterual deformity to inbreeding.
but that comb means shes either mixed, or has a rare recessive gene, im hoping after all else, its a rare recessive gene.
101_4006.jpg

101_4021.jpg

101_4030.jpg

101_4028.jpg

101_4043.jpg

101_4042.jpg

Dont feel too bad for her, she's just as adored as the others with her big beautiful eyes and crooked face, and her cute little floppy comb
love.gif

i dont even think she relizes she's different (exept the time she tried to scratch her face and got her foot stuck in her crooked beak)
idunno.gif

Last edited:
You might be able to, slowly over time, file or trim her beak back to a more normal formation. I did that with one that was starting to cross, and he's looking quite normal these days.
smile.png
What a cutie...
love.gif

I hope so, last time i tried to trim it, i barley pinched the quik, and thank you all, i just adore her.

I forgot to introduce her, her name is Amaya-its japanese for 'night rain'.

Last edited:
I have a gorgeous bearded buff that is the sweetest thing, but I can't show her because she has an incorrect comb. I was told it was a recessive gene
Krista

Yep, a single comb is a recessive gene. Her cross beak doesn't look that bad either so some TLC and she can live a good life.. Although, if she's under 4 months old, I'd say that's a he. :p The single comb recessiveness seems to pop up ALOT in hatchery type birds.

I have one with a single comb just that same color. She is my star egg layer! Her eggs are HUGE for a bird that size and she usually knocks out one a day for months on end. They are grade A large and taste great!

Quote:
Oh dont worry she lays me a small brown egg everyday, and then bock,bock,bogogks! to tell me to come get it
smile.png

here she is covering herself with Grass piece by piece
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom