Is the brooder really big enough?

wifeyschlegel

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2018
Jonesborough, TN
Brand new to raising chickens, just got 4 chicks on Saturday. We are currently using a large dog crate as a brooder. They have plenty of space now but I'm assuming they'll need more soon(before they're ready to move to the outdoor coop).. I've been looking around and have seen lots of brooder ideas but they all seem to only be for the small newborn phase and I don't see many ideas for the in between phase of not tiny chicks anymore but not fully feathered yet either.. What does everyone do with their chicks at this phase?

I had late fall chicks that stayed in quite a while. I used two giant cardboard boxes taped together in a cool spare room. They thrived but the dust was abominable. A garage would be better.

Quite young chicks can go right into the coop using a heating plate or search here for mama heating pad. An easy mod you can do yourself with a heating pad and a wire rack or hardware cloth.

I had late fall chicks that stayed in quite a while. I used two giant cardboard boxes taped together in a cool spare room. They thrived but the dust was abominable. A garage would be better.

Quite young chicks can go right into the coop using a heating plate or search here for mama heating pad. An easy mod you can do yourself with a heating pad and a wire rack or hardware cloth.

Would an Eco Glow work?

Check the specs on the Eco Glow. Some of the heat plates will not work with ambient temps below 50*, while MHP will work below freezing.

I am a huge fan of brooding in the coop with MHP. By the time your chicks are 2 - 3 weeks old, they should have at least 2 s.f./chick in the brooder. Getting them right out into a chick and predator safe coop/run is IMO the best way to raise them. It will avoid possible life time aggression habits from being too crowded.

Check the specs on the Eco Glow. Some of the heat plates will not work with ambient temps below 50*, while MHP will work below freezing.

I am a huge fan of brooding in the coop with MHP. By the time your chicks are 2 - 3 weeks old, they should have at least 2 s.f./chick in the brooder. Getting them right out into a chick and predator safe coop/run is IMO the best way to raise them. It will avoid possible life time aggression habits from being too crowded.

What's MHP?

Mama Heating Pad. You use a heating pad that acts like a mother hen to keep the chicks warm, it is supposed to be much better than a heat light. I’ll find out next week when my chicks come in.

Mine go out to their own area in the coop, with their heat lamp, at three weeks of age. That's tomorrow, after we spray the coop and adults for mites. It's been too cold here until this week! After another week, the chicks will get an even bigger space, and when they are fully feathered, no heat lamp, and outside with everyone.
With a first flock, you can transition them to their coop as soon as possible, with either a brooder plate or SAFELY ATTACHED heat lamp.
Mary

Love my Eco Glow! But... Premier1 has nice brooding plates also, just as another source and idea. Their larger ones are less expensive than Brinseas. I've not ordered one, but have considered it.

This year, I had too many small brooder totes inside, and only one Eco Glow, so I decided to try the reptile infrared heat bulbs. They've been great! No light output, so they get used to the dark, like with the MHP and brooder plates, and not as dangerous as heat lamp bulbs. Plus I can keep a better eye on the youngest ones, instead of them hiding under the plate or MHP.

Also saw on another thread, someone had recently used these with the MHP. I think it would be a great, cheap and easy method.
@lazy gardener do you see any issue with using the heating pad with these?
235346.jpg

I have 30 chick out in the coop. I got them as day-olds on Friday. This is the first year I have used the MHP, and am pleased with it so far. I have also brooded them in the coop from the start i with a heat lamp.

When I have used a lamp, I had a brooder in the coop. This year with the MHP, they are in the coop in a 4x8’ area instead of a “brooder”. They have been very happy with their space.

Back
Top Bottom