NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
One hen and one roo had bumble foot on both feet. We started with surgery on one foot each. The roos toe healed up completely and the hen's foot was looking really good so we decided to do their other feet. I'm not sure whether or not the hen is healing. Her foot from before started to get a little pink around the cut and the other scabbed over with another black scab. The rooster's toe looks worse than before surgery. I know we got his first bandage too tight, but his toe wouldn't stop bleeding. After we took it off his toe looked amazing and we put on a bandage that wasn't as tight. Then his toe filled with pus again so we drained it yesterday. The whole bumble is dead skin and there's no blood in it. His toe is stiff swollen and purple. I'm really worried about him. Do the others look like they are healing? What should I do for him? Please help!

Attachments

• 20210811_093001.jpg
    20210811_093001.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210811_093023.jpg
    20210811_093023.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210811_093053.jpg
    20210811_093053.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 69
The last picture of the swollen bruised foot looks bad. Is it bruised from squeezing and the surgery? It could be that the toe was damaged from the too tight dressing at first, and just now showing up. I would be tempted to soak the foot in warm Epsom salts water for 15 minutes each day. I really hope the circulation gets better. A vet might be helpful.

The last picture of the swollen bruised foot looks bad. Is it bruised from squeezing and the surgery? It could be that the toe was damaged from the too tight dressing at first, and just now showing up. I would be tempted to soak the foot in warm Epsom salts water for 15 minutes each day. I really hope the circulation gets better. A vet might be helpful.
It could be bruised from the surgery, but I think it's the wrap. The pus started coming out on the top of the bumble so that's where we cut. A little bit higher there is a lot of blood. I'll try Epsom salt. What if his toe doesn't get better? The vet isn't an option.

If his toe is necrotic or dying, it is possible that it will fall off in a few weeks. That is what happens when a toe is frostbitten or crushed, and the way the body heals itself. Let us know how the toe gets along, and I hope it does.

It could be bruised from the surgery, but I think it's the wrap. The pus started coming out on the top of the bumble so that's where we cut. A little bit higher there is a lot of blood. I'll try Epsom salt. What if his toe doesn't get better? The vet isn't an option.
Maybe a quick redo of the surgery, ensuring you got all the pus and dead tissue, maybe that will allow faster healing..also, i hope ppl don’t use hydrogen peroxide, even diluted, it can really destroy delicate healing tissue..not that you remotely said anything about it, it’s just I’ve seen firsthand how it can actually stop the healing..if the toe doesn’t look better, maybe a surgery redo won’t hurt any more than just leaving it..?

If his toe is necrotic or dying, it is possible that it will fall off in a few weeks. That is what happens when a toe is frostbitten or crushed, and the way the body heals itself. Let us know how the toe gets along, and I hope it does.
Thanks! I'll let you know how he does. Do the others look ok?

Maybe a quick redo of the surgery, ensuring you got all the pus and dead tissue, maybe that will allow faster healing..also, i hope ppl don’t use hydrogen peroxide, even diluted, it can really destroy delicate healing tissue..not that you remotely said anything about it, it’s just I’ve seen firsthand how it can actually stop the healing..if the toe doesn’t look better, maybe a surgery redo won’t hurt any more than just leaving it..?
Thanks. I'll try to get some help and redo the surgery tonight. I use peroxide right before and after the surgery. After that I only use a triple antibiotic cream.

Thanks. I'll try to get some help and redo the surgery tonight. I use peroxide right before and after the surgery. After that I only use a triple antibiotic cream.
Don’t use peroxide! Anything else..plain boiled cooked water is better! Peroxide kills delicate healing tissue..
Unfortunately, hydrogen peroxide's oxidation also destroys healthy skin cells. This is why many physicians and dermatologists currently advise against using hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds , as it has been found to slow the healing process and possibly worsen scarring by killing the healthy cells surrounding a cut.Feb 23, 2011

Why Does Hydrogen Peroxide Fizz On Cuts? | Live Science

heres another..

most dermatologists don't recommend using it to disinfect open wounds. Why? It can also kill healthy cells alongside bacteria and fungal spores. In particular, it can kill fibroblasts, which are a special connective tissue the body uses to repair wounds.

In some cases, using hydrogen peroxide to disinfect wounds can slow the healing process because of the fibroblasts it kills. If it kills too many healthy cells around the edge of a wound, hydrogen peroxide can also worsen scarring.”

@Eggcessive @Katanahamon
I've been soaking his foot in Epsom salt. There is dead tissue, but it looks like it's only on the pad of the toe. His toe is still stiff and swollen, but if you lift the dead skin you can see blood. He lost the scales on top of his toe, but he hasn't lost the nail. Is that a good sign?

Attachments

• 20210821_172551.jpg
    20210821_172551.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210821_172619.jpg
    20210821_172619.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210821_172822.jpg
    20210821_172822.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 46
@Eggcessive @Katanahamon
I've been soaking his foot in Epsom salt. There is dead tissue, but it looks like it's only on the pad of the toe. His toe is still stiff and swollen, but if you lift the dead skin you can see blood. He lost the scales on top of his toe, but he hasn't lost the nail. Is that a good sign?
Keep doing your best, it’s too difficult to judge by just photos, best of luck..I’m so sorry you have to deal with this..

Back
Top Bottom