Is the red comb/wattle story true?

highcountrychickens

Head Rooster Jouster
13 Years
Aug 28, 2008
Jackson Hole
So -
Over the years I have heard the old yarn that hens who are laying have bright red combs and wattles... while those who are not laying have greyish or not-so-vibrant combs and wattles. It always made me smile and sort of shake my head, but for several weeks, I have had around 3 eggs per day from my 7 hens (who, when out of molt and all is well generally do average 1 egg a day per hen - more accurately will lay 5-6 per week)... and - yep - three hens have bright red wattles and combs... four have wattles that look like they need a bit of oil or moisturizer... sporting a bit of a silver color.

Does anyone have this experience? Am I dreaming? Am I going nuts? Am I a genius?
idunno.gif
tongue.png
cool.png

Yup! With all my hens so far, red comb and wattles has = laying starting soon! Although roo's get redder as they get more mature as well.

Highcountrychickens- I had to laugh at your signature line! Its so true! Unless we are talking kids- then its a LACK of noise that signals Something is up!!!
lol.png

Heh - not long after I put that signature out there, someone who used to be on a lot had a signature that read : "Obviously Mark Twain never laid an egg..." it was hysterical!

This whole red comb/wattle thing has caused a problem - I was going to give two hens to some friends who have rebuilt their coop and have a single lonely hen... all four of my very favorite hens have the grey thing going on... and aren't laying. I was looking forward to giving away the bully, but she's a laying machine (red wattles and comb, yes, but I also see her coming out of the nest box every day with a warm egg there for me...
roll.png
)

I have some pullets with very red combs and wattles, for over a month, who have yet to lay. I also have 2 EE's who went through a molt not long ago, still with gray combs and wattles who just started Laying again. So it may generally be true, but I would not say it is 100%.

Back
Top Bottom