Is there a breed of cat that is a better mouser?

We had cats that were city raised and simply did not chase the mice except for one rescue kitty who kept the whole block and then some rodent free. We moved to the country and all the old cats died and we got two new cats from a horse ranch. Now those cats are great mousers. They are mutts-alley cats. They also chase and kill lizards and scorpions. Good kitties. Although some visitor to our place got stung by one of the scorpions we sometimes see. Now none of that group of friends will come to our place. We never wear flip flops at night walking outside. I guess we needed to tell them appropriate attire. We just didn' t think of it. We will never forget again. The two cats were chasing a scorpion in the house last night. Good kitties.

Quote:
You know what's interesting....but I'm sure not the "rule"... we got the chickens after living with those barn cats. Some were raised from chicks and others were adults. Those three male (neutered adult) cats never bothered the chickens and would even lay right beside them to sleep. The chickens had a favorite spot to take a dust bath and one of the cats would even come and roll around in the dust next to them when they bathed! We thought the cats would be a problem at first because we had seen them take down large rabbits, but they never bothered the chicks/chickens. I hope our luck doesn't change! We're keeping our eyes open for two female kitties.

I've had the same experience with cats and chickens- though the other day I thought I saw him getting an idea about a bantam off by itself. No troubles yet, though!

You probably have a local shelter or pound that has a few street-wise cats that need to be saved. Our shelters are full of them. Take a couple of already spayed/neutered cats home and watch them go to work. What ever you do, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get them spayed or neutered. Way too many cats and dogs die every single day because irresponsible pet owners don't get their pets fixed. Yes, you can get your feral barn cats fixed. Some areas offer a free service. We have 2 free ones in the Austin, TX area. Ok, off my soapbox. Sorry for the rant.
Kathy

Quote:
True story! We caught the feral female that hangs around our tomcat and had her spayed and then got her a 3 year rabies vaccination. Then we told all the neighbors (she is very distinct looking) and released her. Total cost: $50. 25 for the spay (because she was obviously feral) and 25 for the vaccination. She still hates us but is worth her weight in gold because she keeps rabbits out of the garden and the mice in the yard in check.

We have a small male mixed-breed cat that is quite the predator. No mouse, snake, bird, squirrel, chipmunk or mole is safe anywhere near our house. His mother was a wild cat that had her litter in the walls of an old house. The kittens were rescued and became wonderful pets for several different people. The only issue is that although Troy (our cat - named by our granddaughter after the character in High School Musical! LOL!) is too small to be much of a threat to our chickens, he likes to scare them. So I have to keep an eye on him when the chickens are free-ranging. We got Troy long before we got chickens in order to keep mice away from our house. Since we got him several years ago, we haven't seen a mouse in our house. I think animal rescue centers would be a great place to find a mouser.

Female feral or offspring of feral are, in my experience, the best mousers. Having said that, in a house with 4 cats and a barn with 3 more, the best mouser by far is our beagle/red heeler dog. I would lean towards adopting an adult cat from a shelter - you never know exactly what you will get with a kitten and the adults can be so appreciative and loving. Plus all the work is already done - they should already be spayed/neutered and vaccinated. We have no issues with our cats and chickens - kept them separate while the chickens were babies and the full-grown hens are not threatened by the cats - some even hang out together.

Interestingly, our local shelter offers (neutered) barn cats up for adoption. These are cats that have some sort of undesirable trait (like not being housebroken) that makes them inappropriate for being in a home, but are otherwise sweet-natured, friendly cats. This would probably be the best way to go if you could find a shelter like that.

I don't know...what I do know is EVERY cat I had LOVED mice....the difference was if they would kill them or just play with them!!
roll.png

I've always heard....(this is an old wives tale) ....that the best mousers are those with long tails.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom