Is there a Chick Age When You are More in the Clear?

There are exceptions but I usually don't have chicks die after the first couple of days. If they were chilled during shipment it may be a week or more before you are in the clear. But you will usually see that they are lethargic and peeping a lot if they have been chilled. If your chicks are active and eating and drinking then they will probably be fine.
smile.png

It can depend on your husbandry and what's in your soil, and even the time of year. Things like cocidiosis and Mareks, or respiratory problems like aspergillous can show up along the way. I don't think there's any one age that everyone is safe, but the more experience you have the better the outcome.

Usually, chick problems show up in the first few days after hatching. I'd say you can relax if your chicks are all frisky and eating and pooping normally by the end of the first week.

Of course, anything can happen at any time, but genetic problems become apparent in the first few days, and the most common problem, pasty butt, is usually not a concern after the first week.

Back
Top Bottom