Is there a good hatchery to work with?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Curly Girls, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Curly Girls

Curly Girls New Egg

Feb 26, 2009
    I am a first time poster, but appreciate the help and suggestions that I have read from Backyard Chickens.

I would think shipping day old chicks would be a tough business. I listed a few experiences from 2 of the larger hatcheries and wonder if this is normal and you just have to deal with poor quality or service or if there are better places to order from?

With McMurray I usually lose 10-20% of my order. you can see what is in stock or when it will ship. They are great about adjusting and issuing credit, but I want 50 chicks, not 40 or 45. The last few orders have had genetic defects as well. Out of my last 50, I had an Astrolorp with crippled feet, and lost 5 of 25 cornish cross to hip issues. I also think MMH waits a day to ship, then there are are 2-3 days in transit. They are the only place I have received "day old chicks" with feathers. Pin feathers ususally starts about day 4-5.

I just cancelled my order with Cackle. I have never lost a bird with them and they always include extra's . I have never had health issues or lost a cornish cross to hip problems. I am just tired of them not telling you when they will ship. I had to call to find out where my missing order is. I ordered on Feb 9th and they still won't ship until April 1. I thought they were kidding. They were happy to charge my credit card two months before they ship though.... It cost 10% to cancell an order for chicks that haven't hatched and won't for another month. It's a lovely way to do business.

Any suggestions for good Hatchery would be appreciated.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    There always seems to be happy and sad stories from almost all of the hatcheries. I have only ordered from McMurray and out of my two orders, I rec'd all my chicks and have only lost 1. Best of luck with your search.

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    It depends on the breed of chicken you want, too. Some hatcheries have great examples of breeds and some do not.

Where are you located? You could put your location in your profile. Breeders here on BYC sometimes ship chicks, too.

Have a nice day

4. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I like Ideal the best, we've ordered from them tiwce so far, and got happy healthy chicks each time(almost 5 months ago, and just today)
    with our first order from Ideal we only lost young chicks because of a cold snap last fall(they were fully feathered when put outside, but then it got REALLY cold, lost all but one bantam.

with mcmurray I've ordered ducks from them twice, the first time UPS shut the box of LIVE ducklings in the airplane door, not mcmurrays fault, but still. the 2nd replacment shipment, 1 ducklling was dead, the rest were fine up until they were about 5 months old, then i had two drakes unexpentantly die.

Boris and Sage are healthy and happy little(not so little anymore) birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by