IS THERE A PHOENIX THREAD?

My memory is not the best. It was two years ago, not last year, when I started with the Phoenix/Silkie cross. My goal is not to produce a silkied Phoenix as I don't believe the feather type is compatible. My goal is to produce a Phoenix with the crest, long tail, and feathered feet. I'm realizing now that Silkies were not a good choice to use in my goal.
The chick, below, is the product of two smooth feather birds that are 3/4ths Phoenix. The chick is the fourth generation, not the third as I posted previously. She looks very much like her silkie heritage and could pass for silkie at a glance. However, she has pink skin and four toes on each foot. It looks doubtful her tail will be anything like a Phoenix. I do plan on pairing her back to a full Phoenix out of curiosity to see what the chicks will look like. They will not be silkied and perhaps the crest and feathered feet will pass on with the long tail. The chick is about a month old.

ihtsx.jpg

lklkj.jpg

These two are pure red phoenix bantams, just 5 months old; cockerel and pullet. I am quite pleased with the few I've raised this year and I'm really looking forward to spring to see how the next generation turns out. I do wish that phoenix were more in fashion so there was a demand for the eggs and chicks.
ypc1.jpg

ypp.jpg

These two are pure red phoenix bantams, just 5 months old; cockerel and pullet. I am quite pleased with the few I've raised this year and I'm really looking forward to spring to see how the next generation turns out. I do wish that phoenix were more in fashion so there was a demand for the eggs and chicks.
View attachment 2916219
View attachment 2916224
Same. I get some funky colors in mine for some reason, so I know that scares away super seriois, purists, but I can hardly sell laying pullets for $10 Most of the year. I think part of it is just that people think they're too high maintenance with those tails

Yes, I've had people back away when I mention crossing phoenix colors; which is ignorant. Some phoenix colors can only be achieved by crossing colors; like gold.

I find that only the whites are hard to keep looking nice as the white shows stains. My reds always look nice when free ranged. They're not high maintenance any more that other breeds. But, they soon look terrible when I keep them in coops and runs; no matter how big and roomy.

I find them to be the ideal free range bird that is great at foraging.

As it is, I hatch a few for myself. People ooo and ahhh when they see my birds, but rarely buy. My serama usually sell quickly and, most of the time, I can't keep up with demand.

Yes, I've had people back away when I mention crossing phoenix colors; which is ignorant. Some phoenix colors can only be achieved by crossing colors; like gold.

I find that only the whites are hard to keep looking nice as the white shows stains. My reds always look nice when free ranged. They're not high maintenance any more that other breeds. But, they soon look terrible when I keep them in coops and runs; no matter how big and roomy.

I find them to be the ideal free range bird that is great at foraging.

As it is, I hatch a few for myself. People ooo and ahhh when they see my birds, but rarely buy. My serama usually sell quickly and, most of the time, I can't keep up with demand.
My whites never stay only white. They always get black or brown feathers scattered on their head and necks.

However I've gotten neat colors taking those whites and breeding back to their father.

Back
Top Bottom