Is there a right way to hold a chick/chicken?

chellyroo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
South Carolina
Our chicks are nearly 3 weeks old, and I've been trying to figure out how they would prefer to be held. Is there a right/wrong way?
hu.gif

I usually cupped my hands around the youngin's. They don't like to feel like they are dangling in the air, so be sure to support their feet. I hold my big 'uns like footballs tucked under my arm or cradle em like a baby.

There are different holds for a bird depending on attitude.

Pets or those that will calm down once you have them can be help like a football. Be sure not to be pressure on their chest, it restricts their breathing. The friendier the looser they can be carried.

For an aggressive bird or really wild one you hold both legs in one hand and hook a finger under each wing right next to the body. This way they can't get free and can't bite. If not a biter, then have it tucked under your arm like a football and hold the feet with the same hand. That gives you a free hand/arm for another bird or to open pens/lots.

Matt

Quote:
They would probably prefer you dont hold them, but I dont see that happening. Hold them now, and they wont mind as much when they get older. Try not to grab them in a scooping motion from above it scares them.

I have been holding my chicks a little a couple of times a day because I want them to be used to me. It seems there are a few who really don't like to be held- they flap their wings no matter which way I pick them up or hold them
D.gif
, but there are a couple who seem to settle right down and enjoy it. I have been, for the most part, spreading my fingers out wider and sort of scooping them up from the front (not from above) with their feet dangling. i know someone posted they like their feet supported but when I put their feet in the palm of my hand they seem to want to push off and they flap their wings more than when I do it the other way. Maybe whichever way they seem more comfortable is best?

I make sure to hold their wings against their bodies so that they don't flap around and hurt themselves.

Quote:
Over the years I have rescued a few birds that have been in very bad conditions and treated awful.

Birds I have raised or were raised right by someone else have never been biters. Well that is almost true. There have been a couple Roos that went mean for some reason.

When I said cup the chicks, it was from the from with their feet dangling. After they are nice and tame they will perch on my finger and look around. One of the 3.5 week old RIRed that I have, likes snuggle down in my hand and take a nap. Soon she will be too big for this, but that is how it goes.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom