Is there a specific niacin deficiency food?

Redbirdacres

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
I don't understand what's happening but over half of my 7 ducklings are showing niacin deficiency signs and symptoms. They got duckling crumbles for the first couple weeks and now switched to Waterfowl food. Some of them are much worse than others but I've done my best to supplement for them. They look to be doing better and if I back off, they get worse again. Is there a feed I can give to help? I don't understand why this is happening in over half of them :( I just want healthy happy babies.

So far as I know, there is no specific food for that, just supplements.

What breed are your ducklings, and what brand of food are you feeding?

TSC carries Durvet Vitamin B Complex, it's labeled for bovines and as injectable, but we give it to our ducks orally over a treat.

Please check out this thread for additional information:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

So far as I know, there is no specific food for that, just supplements.

What breed are your ducklings, and what brand of food are you feeding?

TSC carries Durvet Vitamin B Complex, it's labeled for bovines and as injectable, but we give it to our ducks orally over a treat.

Please check out this thread for additional information:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Yes I've read it multiple times. They were from a bin of unknowns from other TSC and RP. I believe them to be pekins and runners. I've been supplementing for a couple weeks but if I stop, they go backwards again. I've done vita-jec, peas, nutritional yeast, and niacin "energy punch". They were on crumbles from TSC and RP and now have Mazuri Waterfowl food.

Yes I've read it multiple times. They were from a bin of unknowns from other TSC and RP. I believe them to be pekins and runners. I've been supplementing for a couple weeks but if I stop, they go backwards again. I've done vita-jec, peas, nutritional yeast, and niacin "energy punch". They were on crumbles from TSC and RP and now have Mazuri Waterfowl food.
Okay, then they'll need the supplements for a while, especially the Pekin, since that seems to keep them on the straight-and-narrow.

I don't understand what's happening but over half of my 7 ducklings are showing niacin deficiency signs and symptoms. They got duckling crumbles for the first couple weeks and now switched to Waterfowl food. Some of them are much worse than others but I've done my best to supplement for them. They look to be doing better and if I back off, they get worse again. Is there a feed I can give to help? I don't understand why this is happening in over half of them :( I just want healthy happy babies.
Peas have niacin but knowing how much to give each ducklings so it get adequate amount of niacin is beyond me so the best and fastest way to get them through this is to use Liquid B Complex 1 ml each over a tasty treat. They will need to be on this for at least a week or two after you see them up walking and not having any more problems then you can switch back to nutritional yeast. So the Liquid B complex is 1 ml per duckling every day and the nutritional yeast is 1 Tab per each cup of feed every day and this you may have to keep them on all of their lives.

Peas have niacin but knowing how much to give each ducklings so it get adequate amount of niacin is beyond me so the best and fastest way to get them through this is to use Liquid B Complex 1 ml each over a tasty treat. They will need to be on this for at least a week or two after you see them up walking and not having any more problems then you can switch back to nutritional yeast. So the Liquid B complex is 1 ml per duckling every day and the nutritional yeast is 1 Tab per each cup of feed every day and this you may have to keep them on all of their lives.
Plus I did the math when I was having issues and if I did it correctly, the amount of peas each duckling would need would severely throw their diet off, if they could even eat that many

Back
Top Bottom