Is There a Standard Way to Describe a Cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DAFox, Dec 10, 2009.

1. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Sorry if this topic belongs in another forum. I had trouble deciding.

Anyway, when the parentage is known (roo=RIR hen=BO), do you describe a cross as "hen breed/roo breed" like a BO/RIR cross..
    or "roo breed/hen breed" as in RIR/BO cross? Or is it alphabetcal order? Or just what you think of first?

When only one parent is known, I assume there is no order. If I had one roo (a RIR) as the Dad and a bunch of mutt hens for Moms, I'd just say a RIR cross or as in my case right now, I know the Mom is a Mille Fleur Leghorn, but the Dad could be one of 6-7 breeds, inluding but not limited to Russian Orloff, Speckled Sussex, or even a Mille Fleur leghorn, so I would call this 4 day old chick as possibly a MF leghorn cross.

I do understand that certain crosses have names like black sex-link, etc so they would be described as such.
    And I do understand that a cross is a mutt.
    Dale-Ann

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not a pro and I imagine there is a standard, but to avoid confusion I always say breed hen x breed rooster, such as BO hen X RIR Rooster, actually using the words hen and rooster. That way everyone knows what I am talking about whether they are a pro or as amateur as me.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The standard way is to put the sire first...as in BR x Buff Orp, which would mean BR rooster over Buff Orp hen. Written that way, you always know which parent was which. Think of the "over" as rooster mating (covering) hen.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I agree

5. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Thank you so much Speckledhen!
    Dale-Ann

6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    With any animal matings, it is traditional to put the sire first, then the dam (mother).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by