1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is there a way to tell a chick has died in its egg around day 16?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MrViskers, Oct 2, 2011.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    i candled some Araucana eggs and there is no movement in the egg, there is veining all around egg and like a black thing which i suspect is the embryo, nothing has gone wrong but can you just tell me some advice on how to tell if they are no longer developing?
    [​IMG]

2. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Not sure but I would just leave them alone.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If the veins look defined and normal, I would leave it in the bator for a few more days. It might be a late hatcher. You can also candle and look closely at the air cell. If there is a dark area in the air cell, then your chick has most likely internally pipped. Place the egg against your ear and listen for peeping or tapping. While candling or listening, lightly scratch the egg with your fingernail to encourage movement.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    In most cases where the chick dies this late is because the humidity is to high and the chick has drown. Another factor is that the temp may have spiked.

5. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:if the veining is still defined, then the chick is still alive. it's when you candle and DON'T see the blood vessels then you know it's gone. the dark area is the chick, and sometimes it might be too large to discern movement later on in incubation... when it gets closer to hatching then you might see movement in the air cell as drawdown and internal pipping occur.

Pete55 has an excellent article on incubation, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013 and you might want to look at some of his other posts as well, because he's got a number of good threads on incubation, hatching, air cell problems, etc. the link i posted, there's a lot of info on that one specifically. you might want to bookmark it for future references.

good luck. my eggs went in the 'bator on the 30th (2 days, 19 to go)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by