Is there any hope for this leg?

Isabella6Storm4

Free Ranging
Oct 4, 2022
Ardonia
I was gifted an, I THINK Rhode Island Blue, Leghorn mix cockerel with a bad leg. I checked for breaks and didnt find any. No bruising, no paralysis i dont THINK. Could it be marek's? He is showing no other symptoms other than the leg and doing a weird yawning thing from time to time. Im guessing it's a problem with the joint between the fibula and the femur or the joint between the femur and the pelvis. Maybe a pulled tendon or ligament? What can i do to fix it? He sticks it out the front when he sits down and puts no weight on it when he walks. He's young so im hoping i can still fix this. Thoughts?

How old is he?

Can you get photos of him/the leg or a video of him along with the yawning thing?
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Do check his crop and see that it's emptying overnight. Yawning may be adjusting the crop.
i have no idea how old his is but he's still chirping.
i felt his crop just now and it was very full but i could also see that he had just eaten. I managed to get a picture of his newest poop
1692534113785.png

will this video work? He's stopped doing so intensely and now just shakes he head and opens his mouth from time to time

How old is he exactly? I think Mareks could be a possibility. It really cannot be confirmed without testing or a necropsy if he gets worse. But a nerve injury in the leg could be possible. He really waits a long time to move, so I would make sure that he has multiple water and food stations, so he doesn’t get dehydrated. Check his crop tomorrow before he has a chance to eat or drink, to see if it has emptied. Here is a good article to read about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

That is good. Does he seem to be walking the same and getting enough to eat and drink? I would give the human B complex or super B complex tablets a try. They can help with leg issues.

Back
Top Bottom