Is there any way to keep a roo from fertilizing the eggs?

sillychicks123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
I am getting three silkie chickens on Saturday to add to my flock, and I am a tad worried about getting a Roo. I am not allowed to keep roos where I live, but I have this friend who makes these Rooster "no crow necklaces", which keeps them from crowing, but doesn't limit them from eating, or breathing, or drinking just fine. I do plan on keeping the Roo if the necklace does really work, but I was wondering if he will fertilize the eggs? How do I keep him from not fertilizing the eggs/if there is a way? Or is he does fertilize the eggs are they still good to eat as long as we eat them right after?
Thanks!!!

I am getting three silkie chickens on Saturday to add to my flock, and I am a tad worried about getting a Roo. I am not allowed to keep roos where I live, but I have this friend who makes these Rooster "no crow necklaces", which keeps them from crowing, but doesn't limit them from eating, or breathing, or drinking just fine. I do plan on keeping the Roo if the necklace does really work, but I was wondering if he will fertilize the eggs? How do I keep him from not fertilizing the eggs/if there is a way? Or is he does fertilize the eggs are they still good to eat as long as we eat them right after?
Thanks!!!

I am not sure how tight this necklace needs to be to keep a rooster from crowing? Since all roosters have different sized necks how will you know what size to buy? It does not sound very humane to me.....but that is my opinion. As for eating fertile eggs......there is no difference in taste. Yep it is okay to eat them.....and nope unless you have him in a separate pen......he will get his job done. If you can't have a rooster.....I would just find a place to re-home him and then you don't have to worry about any of it.

If it seems unhumane then I definently won't buy it. Even though it will hurt to see another one go, if that is what I have to do then that is what I will do. As for the size, I will ask the maker on Saturday, and I believe it just puts a bit of pressure on certain places of the neck, but again, I will get more details soon and probably ask you about it on here lol so get ready!! Also, if I put the egg in the fridge right after it is "fertile" will the embryo grow? Or will it just die because of the cold? Sorry for all the questions lol

Last edited:
A fertilized egg will not begin to develop unless it is kept at ~99 degrees for more than a couple days.

I have roosters with my layer flock all the time. I collect eggs at least every other day--even in the hot summer-- and often let them set on the counter in my no-ac house. I've never had a nasty surprise when I cracked an egg. Fertile eggs have to be around a hundred degrees for 5ish days to START to develop. Prior to that, there is nothing to die, as nothing has started to develop.

I have roosters with my layer flock all the time. I collect eggs at least every other day--even in the hot summer-- and often let them set on the counter in my no-ac house. I've never had a nasty surprise when I cracked an egg. Fertile eggs have to be around a hundred degrees for 5ish days to START to develop. Prior to that, there is nothing to die, as nothing has started to develop.

Oh ok. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom