Is there any way to keep a rooster quiet?

Not really (other than getting the crow box removed as mentioned above, which is probably more expensive than it is worth). You could try crow collars, but those are often considered cruel as they choke the rooster whenever he tries to crow. Don't believe the rumor that silkie rooster crow less or more quietly than other breeds of roosters, they crow just as much. Crowing is a natural way for a rooster to declare his dominance and mark his territory and there isn't really a way to stop it. If you have a rooster, you and your neighbors just have to get used to the crowing. Sorry to break this to you!:hugs

Keep him in the dark overnight and in the early morning in a garage with a blanket on top of his cage. That would be until the neighbors have gone off to work in the morning. Then let the rooster hang out in the run during the neighbors’ normal working hours.

The problem with this is that you would need to catch him off the roost and put him in the cage in the garage every night. Might get old...

I’m considering getting a rooster but I can’t have loud crowing. My neighbors would hate me! Is there any way to have a rooster that can father chicks and not crow?
Short answer is No.

All of these sound like the rooster won’t have a very great life. 😢 So I guess I won’t be able to get one
Probably not a good idea......hatching out chicks just makes more crowers to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom