Is there anything we can do? :(

Chickiepoo87

Songster
Nov 12, 2018
Brooksville, FL
ACE04802-FB99-4B58-8B7B-3D156E0CFCDC.jpeg
It looks like my baby got trampled by the other chicks last night, her leg is dangling and clearly broken. We bathed her because she was covered in poop. Are there any options to help her? Can this heal?

View attachment 1640027 It looks like my baby got trampled by the other chicks last night, her leg is dangling and clearly broken. We bathed her because she was covered in poop. Are there any options to help her? Can this heal?
Get her dried off and warmed up maybe a low temp hair dryer so she don't go into shock. Make sure theres no bone sticking out of the skin and make sure you line up the bone so it's not crooked. Lot of people here will use something like styrofoam to splint it. Wrap it with gauze and vet wrap. Check frequently to determine if the foot is warm. Also make sure she is eating and drinking. Theres a link here that shows how to make a chicken sling/chair to keep her off of it.
I'm betting more people will weigh in soon to add more info.
@Wyorp Rock

Sorry about your chick being injured. Was she with older birds? I would do as @Bamabexchicks said to get her warm. I would keep her inside for awhile to treat her. Give her some room temp water (with electrolytes or some Poultry NutriDrench if you have some) to drink— hold a little lid, scoop, or cup up to her beak. Pedialyte or Gatorade work in a pinch. Use plain neosporin ointment on any wounds after cleaning them.Splinting can be done by aligning the bones and using padding, a popsicle stick, styrofoam, or other stiff item, and strips of vet wrap or tape. Be careful not to get too tight. Here is a splinting link (Legs on pages 20-22:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Last edited:
Since your chick is so little maybe a q-tip would make a good splint. You have no way to see the severity of the break or exactly what's going on inside the leg (ligaments/tendons could be pulled or completely torn), so it's hard to say how well it may or may not heal. Give it some time, but if it was me, I'd put a cap on it... like if I didn't see any signs of healing or improvement by X day I must accept that this is an injury that cannot heal adequately for the chicken to have any quality of life to ever be able to walk again. Brace yourself and your family for the fact that this might not heal and the chick might not make it. There could be other internal injuries from the pile up that you are unaware of... or perhaps the chick was having some sort of problem to begin with which lead to the weakness and being susceptible to being trampled in the first place. Good luck and we are all hoping for the best possible outcome.

Back
Top Bottom