Is there something wrong with both of my Drakes tails?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckitup, Apr 6, 2016.

1. duckitup

duckitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2015
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Sorry the pictures are a little fuzzy! Of course they won't stand still for the photo shoot!

Tailless? I thought they were molting but they have been like this for weeks. Does molting take that long? We have had them for almost a year and I have never seen a huge molt. Nothing noticeable on the ducks just a few feathers on the ground here and there sometimes. All of the girls have their tails but the boys just have their stubby little cute butts. I feed them 16% protein duck food and they get lots of kitchen scraps. The girls have a side dish for calcium. Should I add some cat food? Am I missing something? Or maybe this is just normal?? Thanks!!!!

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    It looks like feather picking, have any of your ducks been nipping at him or are they ever confined in a smaller space ?

3. duckitup

duckitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for responding. No. I haven't noticed any nipping at all and I watch them a lot! They have a very large fenced in area for over winter and are housed in a 15X8 dog kennel with a 8x10 shed attached at night with open access to either all night. We have 9 ducks. 7 girls and 2 boys. Both boys are missing tails. All of the girls are good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by