is there something wrong with my ducks crop?

chickenlady2004

Songster
Aug 16, 2023
one of my ducks passed away the other day, im assuming from some sort of crop issue. a couple of my ducks crops look full but not sure if it has always looked like this and i’m just paranoid? they’re 6 weeks old.

Attachments

• C92725F1-1934-421F-AC0F-EFD8619E76BB.jpeg
    C92725F1-1934-421F-AC0F-EFD8619E76BB.jpeg
    759.2 KB · Views: 54
Best way to tell if there is a crop issue is to feel and look at the crop in the morning before they eat. It should be empty. Your ducks don't look abnormal.
okay thank you!! i feel like i’m doing everything wrong lol i think i have a new issue with my animals everyday 😭😭

one of my ducks passed away the other day, im assuming from some sort of crop issue. a couple of my ducks crops look full but not sure if it has always looked like this and i’m just paranoid? they’re 6 weeks old.
Wondering why you think that your that passed had a crop issue?

Ducks are really greedy pigs [not fowl!] and will stuff themselves in the morning, as if they haven't had food for a month, if they didn't have access to food overnight. And also if given treats like peas. When they do that, their crops get very distended.

Ducks are really greedy pigs [not fowl!] and will stuff themselves in the morning, as if they haven't had food for a month, if they didn't have access to food overnight. And also if given treats like peas. When they do that, their crops get very distended.

i left overnight for my birthday and left my animals with someone else for the night. totally thought it would be fine as all that needed done was to put them away for bed because i’d be back in the morning. the baby duck got out at some point (not sure how) during the day and when they went to put the animals away, they found her outside of the fence dead. there’s no water access outside of their fence because i don’t have them out while i’m gone. the next day it happened again to my other duckling (she survived thank god) but she got out (found a hole that i hadn’t covered thag they were getting out. so they must have eaten and had no access to water. brough her in massaged her crop and she got the blockage out and started drinking and eating again. so i’m assuming it was her crop and she choked and had no water. i fixed the hole and they’re all best kind now so that’s why i assume that, but i’m not 100%

i give them half a cup of feed at night to get them into their house (i’ve been training them to go in at night) and they have a long tray/bowl of water in there at all times every night. i don’t normally give them treats, i gave them less feed today to get them in so i can check tomorrow how their crop is.

i left overnight for my birthday and left my animals with someone else for the night. totally thought it would be fine as all that needed done was to put them away for bed because i’d be back in the morning. the baby duck got out at some point (not sure how) during the day and when they went to put the animals away, they found her outside of the fence dead. there’s no water access outside of their fence because i don’t have them out while i’m gone. the next day it happened again to my other duckling (she survived thank god) but she got out (found a hole that i hadn’t covered thag they were getting out. so they must have eaten and had no access to water. brough her in massaged her crop and she got the blockage out and started drinking and eating again. so i’m assuming it was her crop and she choked and had no water. i fixed the hole and they’re all best kind now so that’s why i assume that, but i’m not 100%
Sad happening. Poor duck. Glad the second one survived

Back
Top Bottom