Is there something wrong with my RIR?

CalliesPop

Hatching
May 16, 2015
I am new to raising chickens but my grand daughter wanted to start. I bought 2 RIR hens that were supposedly laying. The lady I got them from said the birds were free ranging and never used a nesting box. I have a coop and run with nesting boxes. I have had them about a week now and no eggs yet. I am using the same food they have been eating. I am thinking it is just a little shock and nerves getting use to a new place that has gotten them upset. Any suggestions, Callie is waiting on eggs. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BYC! Moving is a stresser as is adjusting to a new management system (the coop/run vs. free ranging) and the production system is the first thing to shut down in response to stress in chickens. Give them a bit more time and you'll likely start seeing eggs rolling in again.

Funny thing happened.......Just after I posted the above, Monday morning. I went to feed and water the chickens and Maude had laid her first egg for me. So now if Penny will take the hint and start laying all will be fine. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom