Is there something wrong with the runt?

emjs181

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Our four chicks are about 10 days old and they appear to be thriving. One of them (not sure of the breed, Ameracauna or Australorp) is definitely smaller than the other three. She's also a loner. The larger three sleep together in a pile, and she's often alone in the opposite corner. Doesn't appear to be growing much. We don't see her eat often, but can't say that seems sick, necessarily. What's going on? We are first timers, and could use some tips. Thanks!

E

welcome-byc.gif

Try feeding them a hard boiled egg every day for a week
just remove the shell and mash with a fork then serve and
boiling is better them frying as oil is normally used and
some of the vitamins like B-3 and niacin could be lost ..

Last edited:
I have a little black and white fella showing the same symptoms. I've tried probiotics and medicated feed. Doesn't seem to be getting worse.or better. I'll try the egg.

Last edited:
ChickenTenderJo,
I hope your babies feel better!

I have 3 pullets in the brooder right now, 2 are about 2 mos (a wellsummer and a production black) and a 1 month old Columbian Wyandotte. The baby always seemed to be a little lethargic, we joked that she might be narcoleptic and considered changing her name to Sleepy from Stevie!
Anyway, she was getting worse, and just like you said, the others weren't snuggling with her, she was always in a corner by herself and she didn't seem to be growing. She got so weak, she would fall asleep instantly in your hand. I was feeding them Purina medicated Start and Grow.
Just when I thought she was a goner, we gave her Pedialite with a dropper. She drank about 10ml. That seemed to make her feel better. I also changed foods. I bought non-medicated starter pellets and ground them down to a powder. She started eating like she'd never seen food before! The others, too. The next day she was on the perch hanging with the others and looked a million times better.
I wonder if that food just didn't agree with her? Were the crumbles too big for her? Or if the Pedialite gave her the boost she needed? (I also added a bit if Pedialite to the waterer. Can't hurt, right?)
Hope this helps and good luck.

ChickenTenderJo,
I hope your babies feel better!

I have 3 pullets in the brooder right now, 2 are about 2 mos (a wellsummer and a production black) and a 1 month old Columbian Wyandotte. The baby always seemed to be a little lethargic, we joked that she might be narcoleptic and considered changing her name to Sleepy from Stevie!
Anyway, she was getting worse, and just like you said, the others weren't snuggling with her, she was always in a corner by herself and she didn't seem to be growing. She got so weak, she would fall asleep instantly in your hand. I was feeding them Purina medicated Start and Grow.
Just when I thought she was a goner, we gave her Pedialite with a dropper. She drank about 10ml. That seemed to make her feel better. I also changed foods. I bought non-medicated starter pellets and ground them down to a powder. She started eating like she'd never seen food before! The others, too. The next day she was on the perch hanging with the others and looked a million times better.
I wonder if that food just didn't agree with her? Were the crumbles too big for her? Or if the Pedialite gave her the boost she needed? (I also added a bit if Pedialite to the waterer. Can't hurt, right?)
Hope this helps and good luck.

I have noticed that Medicated Chick Feed is not as enjoyed as other feed available so I only try to feed the chicks the Medicated Chick Feed for the first week and even then I mix in some Turkey Grow to just get them to eat as that is the most important objective and I also have put the feed in the blender to make it a dust like and then add a little water to the feed so the chicks do not toss it around and waste the feed as most children do .....

Last edited:
Not yet, I'm actually on my way to give that a shot. I'll reply here once I know. I have noticed a couple of them are having an occasional wet poo. I keep checking temperature and it appears ok plus I keep changing bedding, water and food out every morning.

Last edited:
I also have a runt in my little flock. If I start feeding egg to the chicks, do I have to give them grit too? Also does anyone know if it's OK to give the chicks a little dried spices. Like parsley, catnip, oregano, etc.

@emjs181 I had a chicken do the same thing!!! My Dark Brahma hen was like that... we hatched out 4 chicks and she was the 2nd oldest but stayed small. She is still smaller than the other hens I have but she's 7mo old now. There is nothing physically wrong with her or anything. I wouldn't be too worried about it. My Sweety-Pie has turned out to be one of my nicest chickens (Just a bit of an attitude on the nest if you know what I'm sayin') and stays with the others now. I hope your little chickie turns out good!

~Emily

I boiled some egg, smashed it up and gave some to all of the chicks. .......apparently they don't like it and won't eat it. I've left it in the brooders and checked on it. Doesn't look like any of the chicks are eating any of it???

Back
Top Bottom