Is there such a thing as a Barred rocks that is solid black ?

YES the rooster has very dark legs??? and his tail feathers shimmer green!!
HELP Wish I knew what i was breeding but he is amazing.
Hope to find out what breed he is?
74741_rooster_black_2.jpg

I don't know much about chickens aging as i only have had them since last spring.
He has brilliant green fluorescing tail feathers, i don't see him going ever toward the chocolate color (whatever that is).
He is solid black, and he is such a great rooster to the hens. He keeps his thing going with out extended daylight and in the cold temps here. He gets along well with my other Rooster, ETC I wish they would all slow down. NOT HIM

Quote:
Australorps fade from black to chocolate, just like Barred rocks fade from black and white to brown and tan.

o.k
he is still a very nice looking roo.

christieann,
What color is the bottom of the feet? To me he dont look much like a Australorp (even if from a hatchery)
If he is a Black Australorp he should have a Pink-ish color on the bottom of there feet.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Or yellow bottoms, hatchery chickens to do not conform to breed standards.

only JG have yellow foot soles
wink.png

Quote:

wink.png

If they are from a breeder than yes that is true, but I have some hatchery Australorps with yellow foot soles and I know that they are not JG.

Quote:
Australorps fade from black to chocolate, just like Barred rocks fade from black and white to brown and tan.

Perhaps the sun in Florida is strong enough to do this but I have never had my australorps or rocks fade to brown up here in New England. The australorps maintain their beetle-green irridescence and the barred breeds stay black.

Quote:

wink.png

Not true. My black rocks tend to have solid legs with yellow soles. Its a difficult color to work with, I have only had one black rock roo with solid yellow legs, and unfortunately I lost him. The rest have dark legs with yellow soles.

Back
Top Bottom