Is this a black sex link roo?!

Feed stores should not carry sex link males at all. A mistake could have been made by the hatchery, but I think it's probably a barred rock pullet that somehow got into the sex link area.
That’s what I’m thinking (and hoping)! I’ll post an update pic in a few weeks and hopefully know if we ended up with a bsl roo or barred rock pullet!

Hi! We bought 5 sex link chicks from a local feed store. 2 are gold sexlink, 1 is a red sex link, and 2 are black sex links. We were told they were all female, but one of the black sexlinks had a white spot on their head. I didn’t realize a white spot on a black sex link meant male, and it wasn’t until his feathers started coming in that I noticed s/he looked a lot different than my other black sex link who is mostly black with a little red. Our feed store did have the black sex link chicks next to the barred rocks so just curious if we have a black sex link roo on our hands or is this a female barred rock? Here’s a pic of him/her at 3.5 weeks old 😊 either way we will be happy! We just want to know if we should be prepared for a rooster in our flock!
Here's our BR female at about that age.

Attachments

• 20220224_110639.jpg
    20220224_110639.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220224_110633.jpg
    20220224_110633.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 31
I was in your shoes about a year ago. I had bought some midnight majesty marans--a hybrid of a barred rock hen, black copper marans rooster. One of the barred birds soon towered over the others. When it was time to take care of "both" of the cockerels, I just hesitated on the smaller "cockerel". Other than the tell-tale barring, it was the same size and same comb as the (other) pullets, and not causing trouble. I kept calling her the "barred pullet" because she looked like a pullet but all the barred birds of this hybrid are male! That "cockerel" never stopped laying when she molted just recently...

Back
Top Bottom