Is this a boy (rooster) named Sue?

Alyanna77

Songster
May 28, 2020
Douglasville, GA
We got a mixed batch of 6 day-old chicks including one "Golden Comet" named Sue that we've since been told is a Faverolle mix. The farm was sure she was a Golden Comet, so I'm thinking that's the mama hen's breed and that a Faverolle rooster fathered this little one. Now we're trying to figure out if she's really a girl, with mixed answers (& both my husband & I are first-time chicken owners, so we don't know at all).
Pics are 1 day old (profile pic), 7 days old (wing & profile pics), 16 days old, & now at 5 weeks old (side & back pics)
I don't have individual pics in between because they all got too quick for me to take good pictures, but she's changed so much in the last couple weeks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_223951001.jpg
    IMG_20200607_223951001.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6372.JPG
    IMG_6372.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200613_172810058.jpg
    IMG_20200613_172810058.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200622_194351020.jpg
    IMG_20200622_194351020.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6464.JPG
    IMG_6464.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6467.JPG
    IMG_6467.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 36
No, it doesn't mention gender at all (it actually doesn't even mention breed/species, it just says something like "non-commercial fowl" and that the limit is 2 per acre).
Then if someone complains tell them to get bent. I have 8 roosters they don't come close to the noise my neighbors dogs make they crow in the morning and one crows here and there during the day and the king of the coop crows to tell everyone to get in for bed they are not as noisy as you think they are my neighbors are close and they don't say anything about the roo's

Well, if your local laws say you can have chickens and say you can have roos or don't say you can't, then it shouldn't be too bad of an issue. Are people not allowed to have parties either? Or dogs barking in the day? A dog barking can be just as loud as a rooster crowing. Are your neighbors jerks or are they friendly? Have u tried bribing them with free eggs? If he's your only roo and the only problem is the noise, u may be able to keep him. Plenty of things make noise, and generally noise restrictions apply to the nighttime as far as I know.

Well, if your local laws say you can have chickens and say you can have roos or don't say you can't, then it shouldn't be too bad of an issue. Are people not allowed to have parties either? Or dogs barking in the day? A dog barking can be just as loud as a rooster crowing. Are your neighbors jerks or are they friendly? Have u tried bribing them with free eggs? If he's your only roo and the only problem is the noise, u may be able to keep him. Plenty of things make noise, and generally noise restrictions apply to the nighttime as far as I know.

So very true.....
EVERY house in my neighborhood has at least one dog. My house has 5. The neighbor 4-5 doors down has a rooster (legal here).
The neighbor right next to me was complaining to me about that ONE rooster.
All I could do was point out that compared to a barking dog the dog is louder.
Compared to the egg songs being sung by the numerous hens in the hood that rooster is pretty darn quiet.

Last edited:
I agree, she/he's so pretty! I'm just worried about having a rooster because we have strict noise laws & we're right next to a big subdivision so someone might report us if they're too loud. :(
Post again at 6 weeks old, then if no consensus is reached, update every week/two weeks. If you can catch a cockerel before he starts crowing, you'll be able to rehome him before noise becomes an issue. Off topic, but I love your profile picture!

Back
Top Bottom